Trimming Brass

plehman33

What is everyones favorite brass trimmer for cartridges that aren't your standard .270 or .300 win mag? I am in the process of building a 7 Sherman Short for a lightweight elk rifle and also a 6gt for a competition rifle. I have looked into the worlds finest trimmer as i have heard great things about it. They do make an insert for the 6gt but not for the 7ss. Whats the next best option that would be able to trim both? TIA

In AZ I have a Forster trimmer with three different handles/shafts; one is for 300 RUM and 338 Edge, one for 338 Lapua, and one is set for 28 Nosler. I also have an RCBS I use for .308 and .223. I love not having to adjust the Forster when I switch cases.

In CO I have a Sinclair. At first I hated it but now I love it. Easy to adjust for different cases - there is a micrometer setting that moves in .001 increments and is absolutely repeatable. I took pictures using my iPhone of each setting for different calibers and refer to them when switching. The Sinclair requires inserts for various calibers but many use the same (like 300 RUM and 338 Edge).

I also bought a Redding trimmer. I love everything Redding except their case trimmer. Piece of crap; impossible to get consistent case lengths.

I have the Hornady, which is the same basic design as the Forster, Lyman, RCBS, etc, and it's perfectly functional.

But I just recently upgraded to the LE Wilson micrometer system that uses body guides to hold the case while trimming. Case trimming isn't something I do every single loading (yet, we'll see if this thing is so precision I start seeing varying case lengths after shooting), so I want precision much more so than speed.

I use the Little Crow Worlds finest for 300 BLK, but not for precision stuff.

The Forster 3 in 1 trimmer is great and pretty quick while cutting OAL, inside chamfer, and debur in one step. It can be manually turned or spun with a drill. The only reason I don't own one is that I have the need for processing several hundred cases at a time and the Giraud fits that bill. My gunsmith and fellow F-class competitor uses Forster and it works very well.

I have several trimmers I've used over the years (RCBS, Wilson, Frankford Arsenal). My personal favorite is the Little Crow Gunworks. Set it up with a cordless drill or lathe and brass can be trimmed very quickly as well as very consistent.

Lyman Case Trim Xpress. They're about $150 and well worth it. I can trim 50 cases in about 5 minutes. It trims brass to +-.001 and does it fast and easy.

For the small amount of trimming I do the Forster suits my need. My son has a few Little Crows and loves them.

I have several ones dedicated to calibers I trim large quantities and the universal one with different chambers for different calibers. One nice thing about them is you can use the same chamber for casing of different calibers from the same parent case (6.5 cm, 6 cm, and 22 cm - all use the same chamber). Plus I shoot a few wildcat calibers and they can make a chamber to fit most any caliber . Just send them a few pieces of neck sized brass. The cost is the same as their standard chambers. Hard to beat in my opinion.

I have the Hornady, which is the same basic design as the Forster, Lyman, RCBS, etc, and it's perfectly functional.

But I just recently upgraded to the LE Wilson micrometer system that uses body guides to hold the case while trimming. Case trimming isn't something I do every single loading (yet, we'll see if this thing is so precision I start seeing varying case lengths after shooting), so I want precision much more so than speed.

I use the Little Crow Worlds finest for 300 BLK, but not for precision stuff.
Actually, I have the Wilson, not Sinclair. I think Forster is heads and tails above RCBS.

We made this from an Henderson with a foster three way cutters. We did the mounting motor,speed control. Work GREAT

Attachments

• 20210510_135316.jpg
    20210510_135316.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 273
  • 20210510_135443.jpg
    20210510_135443.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 258
  • 20210510_135435.jpg
    20210510_135435.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 257