Trimble Juno, Experiance Anyone?

dig

In the market for a new GPS/Balistics calc. The newer Trimble Juno looks to cover it all, smaller than Recon, includes camera, bluetooth and cost a bit less in a smaller package! It also costs a bit less (although not cheap!). Has anyone used this device or have a great place/price to purchase one? Thanks for the help.

Trimble - Juno ST Handheld

I use GPS to do survey work in the forest industy. I have the first model of Juno to come out, mine has a slower processor and no camera or cellular internet, compared to the new models.

The GPS sensor will hold it's lock better than a recon (had that too). But a $15000 dollar Lieca backpack unit is better. As is a GeoXT with the Hurricane antenna. The GPS data is more accurate than what you likely need, and you can post process the data, this will get you to 2-5m accuracy. That is the real accuracy, not the number that you get from a garmin or other non-professional unit. On a garmin the readout may say 6m accuracy but that is the radius of the circle, and is very optimistic. The juno will be 2-5m in diameter, or 1-2.5m radius 80% of the time.

I found the Recon to be lacking in the GPS department, it would not hold lock on to sats as well as my juno. When you go under a thick tree canopy the recon will not hold sats, where the Juno will. I tried the small bluetooth external antenna for both units, the internal in the Juno worked better. I have run a couple of small ballistic programs, they ran fine, with the gps running in the background.

The downside of the Juno is that it is not waterproof. Mine has taken a few beatings in the field and works fine, but it is not waterproof. Pelican does make a nice solid case for it. Also be carefull if you are using SD cards, if you vibrate the unit, or drop it onto hard objects a few times it will short out the SD card, and anything on the card will be lost. My Juno seems to have more than enough internal memory, and I have the older model.

If I was going to spend the cash on a Recon, I would look at a step up to the GeoXT/XM/XH series. Field armoured, stronger processor, more memory, better display, and a much better GPS unit built in.

Hope that helps

LongBomber:

Thanks a lot for the advice, I came up with a used Recon with GPS at a reasonable price. I am not a professional surveyor, just a hunter/explorer looking for a solid GPS with Google Earth or Satalite pic download capability and storage system, I am familiar with Windows Mobile so I am thinking this should work for my needs. Any advise you could offer on software for the GPS and interface with Google Earth or similar would be greatly appreciated. Again, dont need professional grade just solid system.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.