Trim to length

adam330

Lets just say, hypothetically speaking of course, the trim to length of a case is 1.840 and they were trimmed to 1.831, would they still be safe to shoot or should they be thrown out? Thanks in advance for any and all help

Adam

the best thing to do is check your rifel for the oal of your chamber.Frankford makes a plug for this,even think it is a kit you can buy from Midway.

but for most who shoot a 308 will trim down to a 2.005 when the sammi is 2.015 for a 308.so I guess it wouldn't really matter.the best thing to do is what I first stated.and always use your better judgement.

or you could just cut off one of the necks of a case you are useing and find the oal of your chamber.what you do is use a dremal tool with a cut off wheel and cut off a small part of the neck say half way of the neck. [ make sure the case has been sized ] then you seat a bullet say a longer bullet.then you place the cut off section with the square end out and chamber it.but make sure you get rid of all of the burrs.you will feel some resistance,but make sure you close the bolt.then remove it carefully and measure the oal of the case.this should give you an oal of your chamber.and make a few measurements to get an average measurement.then you will be able trim say .05 off from that measurement and be safe.

just don't let the case fall and hit the floor this my mess up your measurement and you will have to start over.hope this has helped you out.

John

Lets just say, hypothetically speaking of course, the trim to length of a case is 1.840 and they were trimmed to 1.831, would they still be safe to shoot or should they be thrown out? Thanks in advance for any and all help

Adam
you are talking brass trim to length I'm pretty sure . yes I would use them . it's only .009 short it shouldn't hurt a thing . I'd keep track of the couple short ones and use these for fouling the barrel . in a few reloads they will grow . Jim

You'll have a bit more residue than normal on the fired necks. I mis-trimmed this much before, and got by with it just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts