Trijicon Ventus -Lazer Wind Device

Had a look at a non-functioning one this weekend. I was told it that it was only missing the board to make it run, but otherwise, glass, weight etc. is what we will see in production.

Long and short, I am glad someone finally brought this to the civilian market, as it will spur improvements through competition. In otherwords, someone had to be first, and now hopefully others will pile on and improve it. I have actually talked to several manufacturers and they all said they were interested in going this way, have been for a while, but I guess no one wanted to risk it first. This will hopefully open that door.

But otherwise, its 4 lbs, very large, and it's a monocular, so you are not going to be replacing your binos with this. At $9k, it's definitely out of my reach, that's for sure.

Again, all that said, I think it's a bold move by Trijicon, and I hope it's the start of a new race to see who can make it smaller, better and cheaper so we can all benefit!

I was thinking "darn", something else I need, but if costs are anywhere near 9K and weighs 4#, I'm safe. 500 yards and in, I'll stick to watching the foliage.

The Ventus will extrapolate the wind past 500 based on the readings it takes out to 500. There is no way a human is going to be able to estimate wind better than this thing - expect perhaps if the wind changes a lot between 500 and 1000 and you can see mirage. And certainly if you can't see the mirage, knowing the wind out to 500 is going to be a huge game changer.

Yes, the wind can change between the time you measure and shoot; the only way to get around that is set up your spotting scope so you can read mirage the same time you are shooting. Personally, I think zapping constantly with the Ventus is going to give you a superb wind density function. I suspect it won't show wind changing dramatically within a few seconds. But if it does, then there is no way you have any business shooting past 1000 yards anyway since your TOF is close to 2 seconds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.