Triggers for Rem 700 ?

porkchop401

I am in the load development stage of a of a Rem 700LH 260 project and the headache of the project is a the timminey trigger (511) that was suppose to be the answer to the x-mark trigger the action came with. I have been unable to get the trigger to reliably set below 2.75lbs and that is with a mile of rough sear engagement .
I am looking at a Timminey Calvin elite or possibly a Jewel jt7. I am wanting a 1-1.5 lb like glass brake .

What is my best coarse to achieve my goal thanks in advance

I am in the load development stage of a of a Rem 700LH 260 project and the headache of the project is a the timminey trigger (511) that was suppose to be the answer to the x-mark trigger the action came with. I have been unable to get the trigger to reliably set below 2.75lbs and that is with a mile of rough sear engagement .
I am looking at a Timminey Calvin elite or possibly a Jewel jt7. I am wanting a 1-1.5 lb like glass brake .

What is my best coarse to achieve my goal thanks in advance

Send your Timney back and have them adjust it the way you want it. They will turn it around within a couple days. I had to do this with a fussy M70 trigger replacement (MOA version). I had it back within 5 days of sending it off. It came back exactly the way I wanted it.

Last edited:
I have considered sending it back but I cant get past the rough sear , I am not saying they can't adjust the trigger and I will probably send it to them but I now feel a higher quality ,more precision trigger system is in order for this project I'm just not sure witch one . I have used this same model timminey on a build a few years back and it did not have these issues. I will probably save it for a ultralight build in the future.

You might like a Jewell. I don't, but you might. I assume you're setting up a target rifle. IMO your choice of trigger weight is too light for hunting - except perhaps for varmints.
In defense of Remington's X-Mark. I have found they have a nice crisp break and if it wasn't for their heavy pull I'd probably leave them alone. But they're too heavy, IMO, so I do replace them with a Timney set at about 2 pounds. Never had a problem with Timney triggers.

I have Jewel and Timney. No problems with either. I would send the trigger back to Timney explaining the issue and I am sure they will resolve.

You might like a Jewell. I don't, but you might. I assume you're setting up a target rifle. IMO your choice of trigger weight is too light for hunting - except perhaps for varmints.
In defense of Remington's X-Mark. I have found they have a nice crisp break and if it wasn't for their heavy pull I'd probably leave them alone. But they're too heavy, IMO, so I do replace them with a Timney set at about 2 pounds. Never had a problem with Timney triggers.

You would be right in that this is primarily a range gun but I also intend to hunt with it from a hill top shooting box on my lease as well as set up prone on some pipeline right of ways on the local national forest.
It will never be used as a typical tote/ stalk hunting gun.

All my bolt guns have Jewel triggers in them. I drilled a small hole in the trigger guard so they can be easily adjusted with a allen wrench.

I´ve read a lot of good things about shine triggers, but I´ve stayed away from them because it says no safety. Do you just install the safety lever from the old 700 trigger or how do you add the safety to it?? I use jewel triggers in all my 700 or clones but read they tend to fail under harsh environmental conditions like cold, dust and mud and that the shield trigger is more reliable. I set all my triggers @ 0.75lb so the timney is not an option for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.