TRIGGERS- FACTORY OR CUSTOM

texas

I know that you all lighten them to some degree but which are they and what is too
light for competion or hunting?

If you are using a custom what brand and why did you choose that one?

I use the standard Remington 700 triggers as a rule. I lighted the pull to about 2.5 pounds and "jiggle", "bang", "slap", "drop", "stomp", and generally abuse the rifle after the adjustment to ensure that the thing won't fire accidently or when the safety is moved from "Safe" to "Fire". I do all this before I ever put a loaded round in the chamber after an adjustment.

Competitions have different weight requirements, in Canada I needed 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of pull to be legal.

For a hunting or heavy use rifle about 3 pounds is more than enough to provide sufficient tactile feedback to the shooter. Keep in mind the weather conditions for rifle use, gloves will generally require a heavier trigger pull (I never shoot with gloves on even in cold weather).

I have on occasion used Timney, Shilen and Jewell triggers. The shoe on the Jewell is a little too narrow and straight for my liking but it is IMHO the best trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.