Trigger upgrade for hunting?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by SavageHunter11, Apr 19, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. WYO300RUM

WYO300RUM Well-Known Member

I've had a Timney on my mod. 700 300 RUM for years set at 3 lbs.. I like it. The only after market trigger I have on any of my rifles . I've done spring kits on 3 rifles lately. Helped lesson pull a lot. On my Tikka T3 I installed an 8 ounce spring. To light for hunting last year. I now have a 1.5 pd. spring. A lot better but for me maybe still too light .

2. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

These are all fine triggers, but this is a hunting rig I presume and not a comp queen, used in "controlled conditions"?

3. Flatbow

Flatbow Well-Known Member

IMO, 8z is way too light for big game hunting.
    I run 2.5 and still sometimes wonder if that is too light for still hinting where you may need to take a hurried shot.

4. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

Just to list another option:

I had Neil Jones rework two LH Rem triggers several years ago. He can easily lighten them to 2lbs or so for a hunting rifle. IIRC the cost is $60-$70.

SavageHunter11 likes this.
  5. corsair4360

corsair4360 Well-Known Member

Weight of a trigger pull in large measure is depending upon the release. 3 pound crisp trigger feels like 8 ounces on a 338 Win Mag hunting rifle. Benchrest or F class a totally different story

6. Elkaholic Bob

Elkaholic Bob Member

Geisselle on a Remington 700 sounds nice

7. oldreloader

oldreloader Member

I’ve always had good luck with Timney.

8. SEII

SEII New Member

TriggerTech. Unbelievable trigeer. I've had all of them on all my custom guns and this one has now become my favorite.

WYO300RUM likes this.
  9. ronstone09

ronstone09 Well-Known Member

you want a crisp pull of around 2 lbs for hunting ! thats my preference !

10. ctforehand

ctforehand Member LRH Team Member

I have both timmey and jewel triggers all on Remington 700 and custom rifles. I like jewel the best. when you order be sure to order the pound pull ,bolt release and safety on the trigger. you will never be sorry you purchased a good triggers. good luck on your rifle.

Tex LR and stx like this.
  11. Crowe284

Crowe284 Well-Known Member

Triggertech for me. Have changed out all triggers to Triggertech. My favorite thus far is the special, flat shoe. Wish I would ya e gone flat shoe on all of them. What I really like about them is that everything is sealed inside the housing, nowhere to really get a bunch of junk in them AND the ability to tune pull weight externally.

12. Westex91

Westex91 Well-Known Member

I ran jewels for years. Great trigger but prone to malfunction in dusty climates. I switched to Bix N Andy Tacsports and never looked back

13. FS1

FS1 Member

I have a trigger tech special. I believe it’s set at 1.75 lbs. It’s excellent. I would just get a primary for a hunting rifle. 2lbs is a good weight in my opinion for long range hunting.

WYO300RUM likes this.
  14. HANGum HIGH

HANGum HIGH Member

That's good to hear. I just put my first jewel in a rifle and that hade a little nervous.