Trigger Tech special vs Timney Calvin Elite

Westernhuntr

I'm looking at the Trigger Tech special andthe Timney Calvin Elite for a LR hunting setup.
I like a really light trigger (less than 1.5 lbs)
Any opinions on these two triggers?
The Timney adjusts down to 8 oz but I'm not sure that's a good idea on a hunting rifle..

TT. All day. I am a huge fan and plan to change over to TT in all my rifles over time. Right now I have 2 calvin elites (that I'd be glad to get rid of as I said elsewhere) and a half dozen various TT's on my Rem 700 bolt guns. To me the TT's just have a nicer pull and I shoot better with them.

Last edited:
I use the Calvin Elites between the two, great trigger and can be safely adjusted low because you can set your sear engagement and you can set your over travel so you have follow through vs hitting the stop which causes accuracy accuracy issues. I run mine on my hunting rifles at 8 oz.

The feel of Triggertech is interesting. There is essentially no takeup and no travel before the break. The break is clean and then there isn't much travel behind that.

If that sounds good, you will like it.

I use the Calvin Elites between the two, great trigger and can be safely adjusted low because you can set your sear engagement and you can set your over travel so you have follow through vs hitting the stop which causes accuracy accuracy issues. I run mine on my hunting rifles at 8 oz.
Thanks that's really helpful to know its hunting safe at 8 oz.
I also like the idea of having some over travel
Adjustment

I personally have a CE, a TT Special, and 3 TT Diamonds.. Between the 3 models, I much prefer the TT Diamonds... All are on rifles that I hunt with.

Between the TT Special and CE, I'd honestly pick the CE, but that's mainly because I find that my favorite pull weight is between 9 and 12oz, which the CE can do safely, while the TT Special cannot go below 1 pound. That said, the TT Special does seem like a slightly 'cleaner' break than the CE, but not enough for me to say it's much of a difference. If your preferred pull is equal to or greater than 1 pound, go with the TT Special as it's cheaper than the CE. If you like a pull weight below 1 pound, go with either the TT Diamond, or the CE... Both are solid triggers, but the Diamond is my favorite, though the CE is a little cheaper and no slouch either!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.