Trigger Pull Weight

I run 4 Timney Calvin Elites, all at 8oz.
I also have 3 TriggerTech Diamonds @ 6oz.
And, my absolute favorite, but takes getting used to, even for me, is a Bix N Andy Tac Sport Pro @ 4oz.

All of my rifles are hunting rifles. My daughter has been shooting them for years as well. But they do not get used by anyone other than the two of us except with me present.

I do have two rifles that get used by other family members that have either a Timney Calvin Elite @ 1lb 4oz or a Shilen Match @ 1lb 6oz.

I am a hunter, first. I set all my rifle triggers at 2lbs across the board. That may not be the best for shooting groups off a bench, but it is good for me in the field which is the most important to me, and I find the consistency across all platforms to be very helpful. No need to re-learn a trigger whenever I pick up a different rifle, and, when I am practicing with one trigger, I am practicing with them all.
I echo shinbone - I am a hunter first and all of my rifles are set at 2lbs. I have a Trigger tech trigger that I installed on a Remington 700 in a 300 RUM set at 2lbs and that is the best feeling trigger I have ever pulled. Strongly recommend trying Trigger tech.

It was always the same for Glocks. Friends would come to me wanting tuned triggers, with low weights. I did one for a guy, against my advice, he wanted this whole drop in competition unit. He had me put a stock setup back in it after he put a round through his livingroom window.

People don't seem to understand the concept of progression, it would be like walking into the gym, throwing 405 on the squat rack and wondering why you got crushed. You work towards these levels, and yet still treat them with a little respect.

I carry my rifle on an empty chamber. One day I was readjusting my sling around the back pack straps. The muzzle was close to my ear height. When I grabbed the wrist with my right hand and strap with my left, I hit the trigger with my thumb. It wasn't on safety, my bad. But it was on an empty chamber. I thought how much that muzzle blast would have been just inches from my head?

I carry my rifle on an empty chamber. One day I was readjusting my sling around the back pack straps. The muzzle was close to my ear height. When I grabbed the wrist with my right hand and strap with my left, I hit the trigger with my thumb. It wasn't on safety, my bad. But it was on an empty chamber. I thought how much that muzzle blast would have been just inches from my head?
You would not have forgotten that bang. My friend the PH, has gotten me to where I carry my .375 with the bolt not locked down. There is a position between fully open, and closed, that keeps it from going either direction. So you aren't relying on the safety to work either.

I'm always happy to learn something new.

I guess I will further explain with everyone's favorite - pictures of targets. Below is a 20-shot aggregate group - first shot was a fouler after cleaning that barrel for copper for the first time (something like 800 rounds), and one shot was a called shooter error. So 22 total shots with 20 shots "counting". I did not wait for rifle to "cool" and the only break was to get up to grab a new mag, get behind the rifle and reload.

This was shot with a 3 pound trigger, prone off a bipod and 6 oz rear bag, and using factory ammo. Aggregate 20 shot group is 5/8 MOA, with me being the weak link. I've included a breakdown so you can see the outcomes of the running 3-shot (a fair amount of 0.1-, 0.2-, 0.3-MOA 3-shot groups) and 5-shot groups (basically all 5-shot groups are right at or sub 1/2 MOA).

View attachment 229699

View attachment 229700

View attachment 229701

View attachment 229702

View attachment 229703

Furthest I shoot paper is 400 - 500 yards, and 1/2 MOA is pretty standard with a 3 pound trigger and factory ammo. Notice where the groups are relative to the bulleye - these aren't 3-round coincidences in the middle of nowhere.

5-Shots at 425 yards
View attachment 229723

View attachment 229724

View attachment 229725

View attachment 229728

I could keep going :p

Shooting 1 MOA plates out to 1,000 yards is not a problem with a 3 pound trigger. Shooting out to 1,400 yards on targets smaller than IPSC is not a problem with a 3 pound trigger.

So, do you wanna stick with "nuff said", or would you like to have a grown up discussion about what matters?
That's great shooting! i know a lot of people who shoot real well with 3 lb trigger pulls......in fact a very good friend who is the best shot I know and has taught me a lot about reloading, etc. shoots all his rifles between 2.5-3 lbs. I nor anyone else in this thread said you couldn't shoot well well with a 3 lb pull. It was your statement about sub 1 lb trigger pulls being a crutch and going back to the basics that was cause for my reply! So, if you want to have an attitude and talk about "grown up conversations", have at it! I've already read enough from your posts to know that I'm not interested In having a conversation with you!

Last edited:
I solved this issue several years back by installing Canjar set triggers on my 257 and 300 Wbys. Regular trigger pull is set a 3 lbs on both rifles.

I was going to say wont a set trigget give you the best of both worlds??

I've only shot a mates rifle at the range a couple of times that had a set trigger & I only needed to blow on it to trigger, great for the range but would never use it in the field

I guess I will further explain with everyone's favorite - pictures of targets. Below is a 20-shot aggregate group - first shot was a fouler after cleaning that barrel for copper for the first time (something like 800 rounds), and one shot was a called shooter error. So 22 total shots with 20 shots "counting". I did not wait for rifle to "cool" and the only break was to get up to grab a new mag, get behind the rifle and reload.

This was shot with a 3 pound trigger, prone off a bipod and 6 oz rear bag, and using factory ammo. Aggregate 20 shot group is 5/8 MOA, with me being the weak link. I've included a breakdown so you can see the outcomes of the running 3-shot (a fair amount of 0.1-, 0.2-, 0.3-MOA 3-shot groups) and 5-shot groups (basically all 5-shot groups are right at or sub 1/2 MOA).

View attachment 229699

View attachment 229700

View attachment 229701

View attachment 229702

View attachment 229703

Furthest I shoot paper is 400 - 500 yards, and 1/2 MOA is pretty standard with a 3 pound trigger and factory ammo. Notice where the groups are relative to the bulleye - these aren't 3-round coincidences in the middle of nowhere.

5-Shots at 425 yards
View attachment 229723

View attachment 229724

View attachment 229725

View attachment 229728

Shooting 1 MOA plates out to 1,000 yards is not a problem with a 3 pound trigger. Shooting out to 1,400 yards on targets smaller than IPSC is not a problem with a 3 pound trigger.

So, do you wanna stick with "nuff said", or would you like to have a grown up discussion about what matters?

That's great shooting! i know a lot of people who shoot real well with 3 lb trigger pulls......in fact a very good friend who is the best shot I know and has taught me a lot about reloading, etc. shoots all his rifles between 2.5-3 lbs. I nor anyone else in this thread said you couldn't shoot well well with a 3 lb pull. It was your statement about sub 1 lb trigger pulls being a crutch and going back to the basics that was cause for my reply! So, if you want to have an attitude and talk about "grown up conversations", have at it! I've already read enough from your posts to know that I'm not interested In having a conversation with you!

That is great shooting with 3 lbs, darn good.

I shoot a 2 oz trigger in my 7mm-08 Rem 700 for high power silhouette competition in and 1.5 is on my 22lr Anchutz for smallbore silhouette. A 3 lb trigger for shooting offhand? Good luck with that.

For hunting I mostly use 1.5 lbs for safety reasons, but one rifle is set at 6oz and I love it.

Now do I need to go back to the basics? Nope.

I've seen many shooters and hunters that cannot control a light trigger, especially shooting offhand and with 35 to 50 mph wind gusts.

Light triggers aren't for everyone just like 3 lb triggers arent for everyone either. There is no one size fits all.

Stay safe

I've been shopping triggers for my 700, and there are a lot of choices. Rifle Basix for instance, has one trigger that goes as low as 4 oz. My rifle will be mainly for targets, but might get hunted with occasionally. Would 1.5 lb be low enough ?

I would say give it a go and try it, you can always raise the weight on it. As others mentioned already once you go light you won't want to go back. You can get the Varmint/Targer one that goes from 4 to 20 oz. Please let us know what you decide

Stay safe

View attachment 229699

View attachment 229700

View attachment 229701

View attachment 229702

View attachment 229703

5-Shots at 425 yards
View attachment 229723

View attachment 229724

View attachment 229725

View attachment 229728

Amazing marksmanship sir!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.