Trigger Pull Weight

My. 6mm ( realistically the one i shoot LR the most ) has a 1.75 lb trigger but its also a hunter packer and i wouldnt want a lighter pull in something that may take a tumble with me down a bank its become more landing use so i may drop it a bit more. But. Most of my other stuff is around 2 lbs. Except for the ungodly milspec garbage trigger in my AR

I've decided to get a Triggertech and start with it at its top setting. Which is 3 lbs. As I use it more, ill drop the weight.
Great choice.

A whole lot of guys use light triggers (sub-pound) as a crutch because their trigger control & follow-through is sub-par. If you can't shoot well with a 3 pound trigger, you need to get back to the basics.

I've been shopping triggers for my 700, and there are a lot of choices. Rifle Basix for instance, has one trigger that goes as low as 4 oz. My rifle will be mainly for targets, but might get hunted with occasionally. Would 1.5 lb be low enough ?
For a rifle that will be carried hunting, 1.5 - 2 pounds in a quality trigger is perfect. Less than that is for stationary target or long-range rifles that will never be carried in the brush or on a horse — and never, ever, under any circumstances, be used with cold hands.

I have Jewell(preferred), Triggertech, Canjar, Timney and Jard Triggers. On the rifles only used by me, my triggers will be anywhere from 10 to 16 oz depending on intended purpose of that particular rifle! For rifles that will be used by clients or family, they're set at 2-2.5 lbs. I don't recommend less than 2 lbs to any of my friends or clients who aren't used to a lighter pull......once they get used to 2 lbs, they can try lighter if they want. I've set triggers for too many friends at under 2 lbs just to have them ask me to increase the weight after they've had them go off when they weren't ready. They think because I shoot light triggers, they can, as well.....what they don't realize is I've been shooting sub 1 lb triggers for nearly 50 years.
Well done! 100% on the money!

I've been shopping triggers for my 700, and there are a lot of choices. Rifle Basix for instance, has one trigger that goes as low as 4 oz. My rifle will be mainly for targets, but might get hunted with occasionally. Would 1.5 lb be low enough ?
Lol.....start SAFE! LOWER TRIGGER WEIGHT..... MASSIVE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS!

Great choice.

A whole lot of guys use light triggers (sub-pound) as a crutch because their trigger control & follow-through is sub-par. If you can't shoot well with a 3 pound trigger, you need to get back to the basics.
Maybe a crutch, my control and follow thru could be sub par, so I might very need my 6 oz trigger to hit a 36" plate at 1800 yards. I also might need it to turn my 1 minute group at 1000 into a half minute group. I don't fool with triggers anymore, like I said once you go with light high quality triggers, it's hard to go back.

Last edited:

You will probably get many opinions and none of them will be wrong, just Opinions including mine.

Trigger pull comes in many different needs depending on the use. In competition there may be requirements that have to be met. There is also a minimum safe recommended trigger pull for hunting and another for targets only.

My recommendation find "ONE" weight that works for all your shooting needs and set all your triggers the same so it becomes very familiar and it will help in all types of shooting.

I tried 7oz on one of my hunting rifles and it was great at the range, but in the field it was to light and I had to be extremely careful with gloves on because I couldn't feel the trigger.
When I competed, 4 lbs was required for safety and I found that with a good crisp consistent trigger that It was not a handy cap.

I know longer compete so I started trying to find a compromise pull weight for all my rifles.
The most consistent for me found was/is 2.2 pounds. I tried to round it down to 2 pounds, but some triggers were not consistent and settled for 2.2. for all triggers. For the Remington 700, the Jewell trigger with three different springs set is the best I have found. the 2.2 pound setting works well for other brands and there is no noticeable difference unless you go lighter.

So My recommendation is to buy a good trigger and adjust to around 2 Pounds (What feel best for you and set all of your triggers to that weight. With good trigger control and a quality trigger, there is no need to go to a bench trigger weight, and safety will not be an issue. I have 5 different hunting rifles that will shoot 1/10th MOA and they all have triggers set at 2.2 pounds.

You may be able to use 1.5 pounds for bench shooting but in the field they become liabilities
in my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have Jewell(preferred), Triggertech, Canjar, Timney and Jard Triggers. On the rifles only used by me, my triggers will be anywhere from 10 to 16 oz depending on intended purpose of that particular rifle! For rifles that will be used by clients or family, they're set at 2-2.5 lbs. I don't recommend less than 2 lbs to any of my friends or clients who aren't used to a lighter pull......once they get used to 2 lbs, they can try lighter if they want. I've set triggers for too many friends at under 2 lbs just to have them ask me to increase the weight after they've had them go off when they weren't ready. They think because I shoot light triggers, they can, as well.....what they don't realize is I've been shooting sub 1 lb triggers for nearly 50 years.
I agree I like 1lbs trigger, Jewell is really nice got really tired of factory trigger you pull for 5 minutes before discharge to much time for mistakes, flinching heart beat or breath.

Personally my go to trigger weight for hunting rifles is 10-14oz, but I shoot a lot of f-class matches with a sub 2oz trigger. My favorite triggers by far are Bix & Andys. If I was getting another trigger for a 700 it would be the tac sport pro from Bix & Andy. They are just a cut above the rest.

I never realized how awful most factory triggers were until I started replacing them with high quality triggers. I personally like about 1.75-2 lbs. I primarily hunt and do so in the cold, so it works for ME. That said, under certain conditions, very light triggers are amazing!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.