Trigger magazine: 25 creedmoor - ultimate hybrid or ballistic bastard?

257 Blackjack

How does 25 Creedmoor stack up to 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed? The same question can be asked and answered for really any same-parent cartridge comparison.

I'm not sure how long this issue of TRIGGER has been on the shelves but we got the alert to go pickup a copy.

So far guys have said they are at Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and some other stores.

Glad to see the author shot some light bullets out of a Fast Twist and showed great results - AND SPEEEED!

The target distance referenced in the second picture below was some 1036 yds and has been indicative of all the reports we've been getting from our shooters. 0.330 G7 is a good starting point but to hit things at long range you may need to bump it up to 0.345 G7.

The author also brought some light to the first trials of 25 Creedmoor as a market cartridge 2fitty-Hillbilly. Overall a great writeup. Please show the magazine to your buddies if you pickup a copy!

TRIGGER COVER.jpg

TRIGGER BC.jpg

Very intriguing...would love to see some prefits for popular turnbolts...would have a hard time resisting:)

Brakeman

Evidently this issue is no longer on the news stands, anyone have a PDF copy of the article they could share? Particularly interested in the handload data...

Handload data ain't gunna be very different than 6CM or 6.5CM. Something like 40 grains of a high energy slow burner like H4350 or Hybrid 100V

Evidently this issue is no longer on the news stands, anyone have a PDF copy of the article they could share? Particularly interested in the handload data...
Handload data ain't gunna be very different than 6CM or 6.5CM. Something like 40 grains of a high energy slow burner like H4350 or Hybrid 100V

I will post the full article after this quarter is over. The magazine will be on the shelves for 3 months.

I know it's sold out in my hometown but there are copies at the bigger sporting good stores.

BallisticsGuy, one of the best things about this 25 Creed spread is the author includes varmint loads all the way up to 3450 fps in light bullets.

I'll update with a pic shortly.

The best part of the article is the data? It's only 4 powders with no min-max data or any idea of how they pressured up. Man y'all got low standards.

Like I said, take the same data you'd use for 6CM or 6.5CM from their light bullet data if you're worried about ultra light bullets, cut 10% and work up and you've got everything the article talks about and then some. Folks, it's not hard to get data you don't have. I spend tons of time off the reservation. When I don't know how much powder to start with, I don't worry about it. I have data for plenty of other similar cases. Data below is for 6.5CM with a V-max varmint bullet. Notice the similarity? Imagine what would happen if you cut 10% and worked up.

upload_2019-3-17_11-47-4.png

The best part of the article is the data? It's only 4 powders with no min-max data or any idea of how they pressured up. Man y'all got low standards.

Like I said, take the same data you'd use for 6CM or 6.5CM from their light bullet data if you're worried about ultra light bullets, cut 10% and work up and you've got everything the article talks about and then some. Folks, it's not hard to get data you don't have. I spend tons of time off the reservation. When I don't know how much powder to start with, I don't worry about it. I have data for plenty of other similar cases. Data below is for 6.5CM with a V-max varmint bullet. Notice the similarity? Imagine what would happen if you cut 10% and worked up.

View attachment 127019

I said that was one of best parts about the article - the author threw a wide net for all kinds of shooters.

The best part was when the author stated that the 25 Creed outperforms the most popular cartridge, the 6.5 creedmoor (even with uncorrected 0.351 G7 referenced for the 0.335 G7 147 ELD M), and one of the most popular PRS cartridges the 6 Creedmoor (although I would say the 6 Creed fits PRS Style matches very well despite the barrel life while the 25 Creed will hunt a little better with more energy).

Also, the part when he reiterated what has been found with every report coming back from the field - 0.330 G7 is conservative - 0.5 mils at 1037 yds in his situation. We have heard this from a lot of shooters. Oehler 89 will be here in a couple of months and we will publish testing from different types of barrels and speeds.

I don't think about shooting light-for-caliber bullets like the ones shown above, so I was glad he included them. We get a lot of questions about this but I don't have the time to test 20 different bullets/powders of similar performance for load data.

Some guys don't mind starting on their own but the gross % of guys need reference data and most often with the exact cartridge and powder listed.

Last edited:
I'm kind of interested to read the article about the non-NFA suppressor... Did a google search, can't find anything about it... Anyone with a copy care to share any info about the article?

The best part was when the author stated that the 25 Creed outperforms the most popular cartridge, the 6.5 creedmoor (even with uncorrected 0.351 G7 referenced for the 0.335 G7 147 ELD M), and one of the most popular PRS cartridges the 6 Creedmoor (although I would say the 6 Creed fits PRS Style matches very well despite the barrel life while the 25 Creed will hunt a little better with more energy).

Also, the part when he reiterated what has been found with every report coming back from the field - 0.330 G7 is conservative - 0.5 mils at 1037 yds in his situation. We have heard this from a lot of shooters. Oehler 89 will be here in a couple of months and we will publish testing from different types of barrels and speeds.

A lot of fake news with a dash of voodoo sprinkled in. There are no 25 cal bullets that can run with the 6's and 6.5's. That's a hard cold fact. There are no 25 cal bullets anywhere close to .330 G7 BC. Cartridges do determine BC, sectional density and form factor do. You can't bend physics anymore than you can make water run uphill... which is a physics thing. The larger corporate manufacturers of ammo, bullets and guns spend a lot of money marketing their wares and you can bet any published BC's from Nosler, Hornady, Speer, etc are an exaggeration ( I was nice and didn't say lie)

Hey, I'm not knocking the Creed, it's a good little cartridge. But the 6 Creed and 6.5 Creed are going to be out shouting the 25 Creed for quite a while until the bullet makers star doing some R&D and produce some long, sleek, heavy for cal bullets in .257

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.