Trigger guard screw problem

Ultramag45

I have 2 338 Rums... both are on 700 actions... I have been having acton screw(Floor Plate screw) problems... after about 5- 9 shots they loosen up.... I tighten them up very snug 40-50 inch lbs and scratch a line on the screw as to see if they move....every time I shoot, it may not move from the line but I check them and they are barley tight... I tighten them up more ( thus changing Point of Impact).. also the screws are becoming longer making the bolt hard to close. I have trimmed them both so the bolt closes..I know it is just wearing ito the Aluminum and making it worse... do you think that Loctite would fix or a small washer under the screw... appreciate all thoughts on this....gun)

Sounds like the stock is "crushing". If it is a wood stock, pillars would solve the problem. If it is "tupperware" a new stock is in order.

I have 2 338 Rums... both are on 700 actions... I have been having acton screw(Floor Plate screw) problems... after about 5- 9 shots they loosen up.... I tighten them up very snug 40-50 inch lbs and scratch a line on the screw as to see if they move....every time I shoot, it may not move from the line but I check them and they are barley tight... I tighten them up more ( thus changing Point of Impact).. also the screws are becoming longer making the bolt hard to close. I have trimmed them both so the bolt closes..I know it is just wearing ito the Aluminum and making it worse... do you think that Loctite would fix or a small washer under the screw... appreciate all thoughts on this....gun)
It does sound like a 'crush' problem. Pillars will solve stock 'crush', but, ya' can't fix aluminum (pot metal) with Locktite. Time for some of that 'milled steel' bottom metal if that's where your problem is.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts