Tried to hunt squirrels today.

Ohlongarm

However the crows kept harassing the red tail hawks keeping the squirrels hidden,I finally dropped two and the squirrels then started moving. But only one down.
tried.jpg

Nice head shot on that squirel! 👍
THX,99% are done like that I practice at 100 yards with eggs. I used a suppressed 77/22 with a 2lb trigger and a 3x9 Leopold with adjustable objective. This is a legal rig in my state and sure confuses the squirrels. I like the Winchester 42 gr max subsonic, Australian made it sure whacks them, and will take out the occasional varmint that may show up.

A fella had to what he has to do to get squirrels, even when he has to eliminate other critters while hunting. I have risen to the occasion a number of times, also.

I got four Saturday, two fox squirrels and two grays with my light carry .17 WSM. Yeah, head shots are a must.

This present Indian Summer is for the dogs, not conductive for good squirrel hunting. I work four ten hours per day at work with three day weekends. Getting good hunting weekends is a roll of the dice.

However the crows kept harassing the red tail hawks keeping the squirrels hidden,I finally dropped two and the squirrels then started moving. But only one down.

Nice.

Would I be correct in assuming you nailed those crows with your rimfire after they landed?

(new guy here)

I had high hopes of hunting squirrels today but high winds and rain bashed that idea. Tomorrow looks to be a tad better and it is going to be on for the squirrels.

We live on top of the Mississippi River bluff and see all kinds of critters in our yard due to the wooded bluff. We had a bobcat in our yard recently and were cautious about letting our small dogs out into our chain link fenced front yard. Coyotes are also present and are a great danger as well as eagles.

My wife and I have squirrel feeders and rodent salt/mineral lick blocks hanging in our fenced yard. The darn deer kept stealing the blocks so we now don't have that problem.

I am buying some blocks for my hunting woods. I think it would be a great plus for the squirrels if I can place the blocks out of reach of the deer. It seems squirrels prefer salt/mineral blocks rather than just salt blocks.

I guess I should have added, "as opposed to in flight".

I nail them with my rimfire while they're flying. From your answer, it seems you don't have that skill. Sorry I confused you.
No haven't acquired that yet, nice to hear from someone who has, some pictures of your wing shot crows would be great, however I'll wager I can shoot more in a day the regular way, than you can in a month with your wingshooting:D skills.

I guess I should have added, "as opposed to in flight".

I nail them with my rimfire while they're flying. From your answer, it seems you don't have that skill. Sorry I confused you.
You're one helluva shot,this is the best I can do calling them in.

Attachments

• no wing 2.JPG
    no wing 2.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 235
  • no wing.JPG
    no wing.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 231
this is the best I can do calling them in.

Callin' them in huh? What did ya call, supper time???
Whatcha get, 3 or 4 stationary on the ground while they feeding? Is that the "regular way"???
Not much skill there son. Maybe one day you'll stack enough up that you'll feel confident enough
to take the training wheels off and even try shooting without a rifle rest. You'll get there. Meanwhile,
keep practicing.

Whatcha get, 3 or 4 stationary on the ground while they feeding? Is that the "regular way"???
Not much skill there son. Maybe one day you'll stack enough up that you'll feel confident enough
to take the training wheels off and even try shooting without a rifle rest. You'll get there. Meanwhile,
keep practicing.
You sir obviously haven't hunted much, that's easy for anyone that has to see, good day another troll,now if you care to post a few pics of your exploits you might be remotely believable.

keep practicing.
You have not displayed any level of skill until you can call which eye youre shooting mid flight. Better practice up kid.

Nice job wacking a tree rat OP. I typically take a 223 or 22-250. Less likely to be suspicious if you're 150 plus yards away. so far furthest was 468 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.