Tried shooting at 1000yds today.

WildBillG

I went out this after noon to try shooting my 16 inch long and 12 inch high gong. Started at 975yds and my dial up was 20.1 moa. My first shot hit and Y was holding low. My next shots were low except when I held high I hit over. Some where in my tiny brain I got it in my head 1 click was 10 inches but itwould only have been 2.5 inches. Here I was worring about hitting low or high and I shoud have been holding dead center. My chart reads in .1 increments which I should have thought through a little better. Am I on the right track here or have I missed some thing.

Something I've learned is to shoot a couple before adjusting and if the mirage isn't too bad, just use your reticle. I have a lot more vertical movements with low or no wind. Hope that helps

The wind was not noticeable so that was not an issue. I have no hash marks on my reticle to aid aiming that way. I think I just tried to make it too complicated and got mixed up. I could see where I hit in the dirt and I think if I had aimed dead center all but one shot would have hit steel. Thanks for your advice. In wind do you find shots rise or drop at that distance.

For some reason I shoot better vertical with a little readable wind. Must be thermals or something but if it's calm, I can get 12" or so of up or down. I've learned just to keep it at the first hit aim point and seems to keep me inside 16". Likely better shooters on here than me though so hopefully others will have input. I've had vertical swings at 600 with 245's going pretty fast even. Shot a 600 match today in cold calm and saw it with lighter bullets

I was using my 338 RUM firing 300grn Elite Hunter at 2845. So far I have found the Hornady ballistic computer fairly bang on for my rifles.