Tried RL-33 in three different chamberings today

Budman,

Gosh I am no loading source but I suppose I'd try 60gr to start and work up.

I began with 58 with the 105 gr Berger hybrid, ended up with 64 as top load without signs of pressure. Actually going out to shoot this load repeatedly this morning to see if it continues to be accurate.

Ditto for the 257 Roy load.

Be sure to let us know your results.

Thanks, I will post back as soon as I locate the powder. I have a 7 RUM I will try it in also. The 6-06 and 257 will be first. After 2nd season Elk in CO. Dave

Okay Budman,
Will watch for your report.

Just got back from the range trying the best RL-33 loads again. At 100 yds the 257 shot .343". The 6mm-284 shot a ragged 3 shot hole at 100 that will be measures .157"!

Will move to a different gun range for long range tests next.

Okay Budman,
Will watch for your report.

Just got back from the range trying the best RL-33 loads again. At 100 yds the 257 shot .343". The 6mm-284 shot a ragged 3 shot hole at 100 that will be measures .157"!

Will move to a different gun range for long range tests next.

You need to run out and buy a 338 Lapua and maybe even an edge and test them. :D :D Wasn't the 33 supose to change the Lapua world as we know it?

Thanks for the work you are doing!!!

Tod

Tod,

You are welcome. I enjoy trying new things. The other joy of this summer and early fall is the the new lineup of classic hunting hybrids. Many more to come. Then there will be the elites and the EOLs!

I doubt I'll ever own a 338 Lapua but maybe a 338 RUM or EDGE. I have a worn out 27" #5 fluted SS Lilja 300 Rum barrel with a VAIS brake that will eventually get shipped to Dan Pederson of Classic Barrel Works in Prescott. Dan can bore it out and re-rifle it for $225. I can take it from there. Maybe next year.

Alliant has load data for the 300 win mag/220 gr and the 300 Weatherby/ 200 and 220 gr bullets. I am certain they will soon have data for the 300 RUM and other monster cartridges. After the fall hunts I'll give RL-33 a try in the current 300 RUM barrel.

Too bad the powder came out so late. Most of us have our rifles ready for the fall hunts. I only played with the rifles that are not going to be used for deer and elk.

I guess I will have to break down and buy some to try in my 338 LM Imp and 30 X 338 LM Imp, am currently using Retumbo in both.
My question is does the RL33 burn any cleaner than RL 25, I have found RL25 to be absolutely filthy compared to Retumbo and H1000.

Thanks
Dave

Dirtball,

This stuff is a different formula unlike 19, 22, and 25. It is made in Switzerland by Nitrochemie. I didn't notice it was dirty. To be honest I never noticed any powder being dirty except the discontinued H870 IIRC. I shot no more than 25 rounds per cleaning in the 6mm-284 and 257 Weatherby and the powder residue cleaned up easily.

Looking forward to your results.

Great info, thanks....

Just a note--I use Fed Mag primers in my 6x284 1-8 PacNor 27", shooting 117 DTACs @3240fps with 56.5gr of Ram Mag

Now that's not max for that mix in my rifle but it's extremely accurate in a wide temp range....

I do plan on trying RL33 myself.

I never wanted to pay the hazmat fee either. BUT the cost per lb for that 8 lb container was less than Sportsman's would charge plus tax. Imagine if you and your friends (or my friends) were to pool resources and buy several containers of powder at once? It would soundly beat local costs per lb.

AZShooter I wished you had a .264 Win Mag. I hope this new powder is temp stable, we as reloaders have a lot to chose from & it seems to be getting better. Nice Report buy the way Thanks.

1100 Rem man,

I would certainly try RL-33 in a 264 with a 140 gr bullet. When you do let us know how it performed.

---------
Iron Worker.

After trying RL-17 and 230 gr Target hybrids in my friend's 300 WSM and getting some amazing velocities and good accuracy in his tiny A-bolt with the Boss system I would think RL-33 is on the slow side for a WSM case. It is always worth a try. Be sure to use a long drop tube. <grin>

Note how the 230 gr is absolutely buried in the case. Vel 2720 fps

DSCF0004_zpsb7f15996.jpg