Tried calling coyotes after dark.

Vortex!

I heard the coyotes howling saturday evening after dark. I had just taken a five gallon bucket of deer guts and dumped it in the field couple hundred yards from the house. I went inside and got my caller and gun and tried calling. I think one showed up but I accidently pushed the coyote howl button and the eyes disappeared. I was playing cottontail and jackrabbit distress calls. The wind was favorable so I don't think it was that. I stayed out for 40 min. But I think I scared em off when I accidently howled at them. :(:( Any ideas or suggestions are welcome

Vortex! hope the tips will help. Who knows the real cause you got busted. Since you saw eyes I will guess you moved the light away from him and when you brought the light back he had seen you and was gone. I hope others will jump in over there and give us additional tips.

I LOVE spot lighting yotes. I shoot 30-40 a year this way. I don't even use the red or green lights. Sometimes they run right up to you and you can smoke them with a shotgun. You can see their eyes from a long ways off and watch them coming (its desert country). They will always try and work downwind of the call and it my experience that if you get busted it is because they smell you. We have made some stupid noise trying to get in the right position for a shot and they just sit there and look at you. Night hunting is pretty forgiving, but if they smell you, it's over. Also, if they have been "educated" - called in and shot at before, they can be pretty spooky.

Last edited:
I've always been told it doesn't work unless you use a red a green light but I don't know much about it.?

I've always been told it doesn't work unless you use a red a green light but I don't know much about it.?

I have heard people say that - its not true. I have never used a red or green light. Maybe I would be a little more successful with a red or green light, but I have never felt like the good old yellow light put me at a disadvantage.

Last edited:
It takes more discipline to shine 'otes with a white light. Also a light shy animal will not generally come back into a light it has been spooked from.

The red is the safest color but least range and green is between white and red for safety and range.

Three44s

Last edited:
Under ideal conditions with a high resolution thermal you can watch otes coming in from 1 mile

Under ideal conditions I have observed them at about 1 1/4 miles.

Three44s

I have had one swoop in on me but I heard the swooshing of his wings in time and gave him a red beam and he pulled out and did not bother me anymore.

Gets your adrenaline going though!

Three44s

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts