TRG 42 load .338 1-10 twist

andyanimal31

I have bought a .338 and have been trying reloader 25 with 300 smk and have tried a aload that was given to me of 92 grains but wasnt grouping satisfactorily and as it turns out might be quite hot.there is not a lot of data for rl 25 and 300smk so was just wondering if anybody out there has found the magic spot for powder weight!
I am using fed 215 match primers and have tried adi 2217 with mixed results as well.
The rifle has only just been run in and not fouling to badly any more so any ideas would be great

Cheers andy

I have had good results with 85grs. RL25, Fed 215 GMM primers & 300 SMK's. The OAL was 3.600 so as to work out of the magazine.

I have had good results with 85grs. RL25, Fed 215 GMM primers & 300 SMK's. The OAL was 3.600 so as to work out of the magazine.
Thanks for that.i chronoied a load of 89 grains of rl 25 and that was going not to bad but will try that load of yours and see how that goes. 89 grains was going 2700

I hope to try a 85.0 gr. load of RL22 w/300 SMK to see how that works. Also I will try some Retumbo with the 300 SMK. I'll get the results up when I have them.
Semper Fi

I thought my shooting was going to the dogs as i have been having trouble getting groups so i gave it to a mate to try and he shot his hs precisionn with the same loads first and got a .9 group at 500yd and then shot mine and it went 7 inchs so he is going to shoot it in the morning with out the suppressor or brake and see what happens so all will be revealed tommorow!

Try some AR2225(known as retumbo in the states).Are you sure your TRG is a 1-10 twist because most of them are 1-12.

Try some AR2225(known as retumbo in the states).Are you sure your TRG is a 1-10 twist because most of them are 1-12.
Yea its brand new model with the i-10 stamped on the barrel and have just ordered some 2225 as plan c so will let you know what happens!

Finally got the trg going well with 94 grains of adi 2225(retumbo) as was recommened buy a company that does load development and for this rifle specifically.
I have got it going at 2760 and doing under an inch at 590
338600yds003.jpg

I've been trying different loads also with my TRG 42 using 300 smk. I note the clip spring is very strong and feed ramp steep. This combo damages the tips of the bullet making accuracy at long range difficult. I had to work my clip to fix the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.