Trekking Poles

Discussion in 'Physical Training For Mountain Hunting And Backpac' started by Muddyboots, May 17, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Maybe an adjustable walking staff would suit you better. I have one of those too. It has a screw on top to secure a camera. I attach a range finder to it to steady the range finder. I even attach a GoPro to it.
    staff-small.jpg

2. Pro2A

Pro2A Well-Known Member

Popgun 240, take a look at Boonie Packer Slings for your situation. Allow you to carry rifle in patrol position....scope up in shooting orientation with barrel direction/angle very controllable in wide array of orientations. Sling strap goes over head and opposite shouldler so no sliding off shoulder. Leaves one or both hand free for trek poles and still at the ready for taking a shot....raise to shouldler and fire. Really important in bear country thickets where a second is all you might have. None of the traditional unslinging from back position. Can tighten sling so scope is tight under armpit for improved control and protection in adler thickets. Can also swing rifle around to back muzzle up or down (drizzle protection). Consists of 2" wide strap with attachments onto stock sling swivels. Works well with firearms not having all the AR style attachment points. No modification of gun if it already has traditional sling swivels. About $20 at Cabelas last time I purchased. I use on all my long guns. Learned this patrol ready in military and never will go back to conventional slings. Hope that helps extend your hunting time safety.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

4. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

When I had two legs, I carried my rifle muzzle down. It was a pleasure to swing up to my shoulder with the left hand in shooting position. It's very fast and comfortable. Unfortunately, those days are finished for me. Last year a shot a very heavy Muley Buck 4x4 that dressed over 200 pounds. I also had permission to hunt on 9 different properties that alfalfa was grown on. Saw 5 large 4x4 bucks one 7x6 that's a town pet, hundreds of Wild Turkeys and literally thousands of Quail. I guess it's a perk for losing my right leg 6 years ago, thank you Agent Orange. Got sprayed in Vietnam and again when I was in Korea.

5. cvixx

cvixx New Member

Welcome home brother...had a prostate go round from AO! But to the topic,I like shooting but for whatever reason can’t get drawn for the hunt in S Utah where I live. However, I walked part of the Camino de Santiago last year. Whole Camino is 500 miles, I walked 150 miles. Not bad for a vet whose right knee has been replaced 5 times. I could not have made it without my poles, and probably 70% of the hikers were using them. So from a long distance hiker perspective they work.

Buen Camino

popgun240 likes this.
  6. dmj

dmj Well-Known Member

Like the rest of you I've discovered the benefits of using trekking poles to assist getting around in the mountains or anything hiking activity. I also find mine help when glassing, and in a pinch they can be used as shooting sticks in the right conditions.

popgun240 likes this.
  7. crkckr

crkckr Well-Known Member

Personnally, I much prefer to carry my walking sticks in 4x4 vehicle! Preferrably right up to where I can shoot from the window! And with someone with me who can gut the thing and load it in the truck for me! Right now I'm trying to get my left rotator cuff fixed without surgery but my right knee is beyond help, the meniscus is totally shot (without doubt from hauling the extra pounds around so long and jumping around like the kid I'm not playing table tennis!). My wife has been bugging me to get it replaced before we take a trip this Nov. but I'm resistant, since I've known so many that didn't work out so very well. I guess I'll have to have it done anyway or I'll never hear the end of it. Rats, another flying season shot down in flames! I wonder how long it will be until I can at least hobble to my shooting bench with a rifle? Blech! Getting old sucks!! And it hurts...
    Cheers,
    crkckr

8. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

9. popgun240

popgun240 Active Member

All you need is a Doctor to say your 50% or more disabled to shoot from your Vehicle. I've pushed for the Hunters Companion to assist those of us that can't traverse uneven, rocky Ground. That's Northern Nevada everywhere. The Nevada Legislators meet for 3 months every two years. I'm waiting for them to try to install a State Income tax here. Make a million and pay NO Income Tax. As long as you don't live in Reno or Vegas, your in a conservative state. I'm still pushing for Handicapped Hunting Seasons, separate from current seasons like Washington State has, up to and including Moose season just for the Handicapped. Bull Elk during the Winter when they are down from the High Country. Let the Handicapped hunt Bucks in Velvet, like archers get. Just take a few from the regular draws and if they aren't filled, give them back to the second public draw. Washington is the only State I'm aware of that offers that to only Amputees, Paraplegics and Quadraplegics. For the Companion Hunter Assist rules, i, an amputee need a Doctors state to that fact. Like I'm going to regenerate a new one anytime soon.

10. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

AMEN Brother Muddy!

I've used hiking poles for over 20 years and they are great. I like to use the rubber tip covers so they don't skid on rocks and so they don't make noise on rocks as I walk.

Like the motto of the rebelling animals in the book Animal Farm, "Two legs good, four legs better." ;o)

Eric B.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. older guy

older guy Previously lew Groth

Thanks guys, I have had a couple of pairs of poles but didn't use them hunting. I think I will start, I will be 78 when I hunt this fall and find my balance is not the way it was when I was younger. BTW I was in the service but wasn't it any conflict, thanks to you guys that sacrifice so much for our freedom.

12. dmj

dmj Well-Known Member

Older guy, welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and people. I'm not far behind you, but do hope that I can continue getting out there every fall. Seems like the older I get I keep looking for things that help make it easier on the body. Hunt safe and have fun.