Tree Squirrel Rifles

There's a bill introduced by Matt Gaetz to abolish the ATF, which is getting so far out of control these days. The ATF is making millions of law abiding gun owners into felons because of an "attachment" to the AR pistol, for example. It's not because they are using in crimes either, which was the original intent of the NFA when gangsters were using fully automatic .45s to rob banks all over the country. Remember Bonnie and Clyde? Write your representatives and support 2A groups or we will lose our rights, slowly but surely.

My very first .22 rifle, age 13, was a JC Higgins model 31 by High Standard. On the farm as a kid I shot "at" a lot of crows and missed them all. Grandpa had guest hunters from the next state over who did squirrel hunt and who proudly show me their bags full. There were about 40 acres of woods on the farm, plenty enough for good squirrel habitat with all the grain droppings they could find. The weakness of that rifle was the rear stock attachment to the receiver and eventually it broke off. View attachment 432145
In order to preserve the rifle, I cast a resin handgrip and added an aluminum plate for a butt stock. The recess or dip in the stock makes it very comfortable to bring up to align the crosshairs and the hand is in a good position for trigger squeeze. The grey plastic pieces are just 3/4" electrical PVC slotted to slip onto the 1/8" thick aluminum. I never altered any mechanical part of the rifle, just made a new stock, so I think I'm safe in doing that. It sure made a more functional rifle from a family heirloom piece that is now 67 years old. That's a nice REX 4 X 32 AO scope, cheap, but just right for this application.
There's a original stock on Ebay if interested ? If you would like to have for the future to restore to original quality. Not saying it's better but for OEM. Not that expensive as of now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275631032907?hash=item402ce3ca4b:g:5F8AAOSwxs9jyESg

There's a original stock on Ebay if interested ? If you would like to have for the future to restore to original quality. Not saying it's better but for OEM. Not that expensive as of now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275631032907?hash=item402ce3ca4b:g:5F8AAOSwxs9jyESg
Thanks, but the rifle is now so much better than the original as far as shouldering and aiming, that I wouldn't really want to restore it.
And it's bit of a novelty to show what can be done with some simple additions, and no hand carving was needed as might have been necessary to make a stock replacement.

My very first .22 rifle, age 13, was a JC Higgins model 31 by High Standard. On the farm as a kid I shot "at" a lot of crows and missed them all. Grandpa had guest hunters from the next state over who did squirrel hunt and who proudly show me their bags full. There were about 40 acres of woods on the farm, plenty enough for good squirrel habitat with all the grain droppings they could find. The weakness of that rifle was the rear stock attachment to the receiver and eventually it broke off. View attachment 432145
In order to preserve the rifle, I cast a resin handgrip and added an aluminum plate for a butt stock. The recess or dip in the stock makes it very comfortable to bring up to align the crosshairs and the hand is in a good position for trigger squeeze. The grey plastic pieces are just 3/4" electrical PVC slotted to slip onto the 1/8" thick aluminum. I never altered any mechanical part of the rifle, just made a new stock, so I think I'm safe in doing that. It sure made a more functional rifle from a family heirloom piece that is now 67 years old. That's a nice REX 4 X 32 AO scope, cheap, but just right for this application.
Kinda cool, but.. didn't I see the Jawas on Star Wars carrying one of those?? 😂
Good luck... Cheers.
100122-product-feature.jpg