Tree Squirrel Rifles

JC Higgins Cir. 1956 (Marlin Mod 81), 6 shots - 6 squirrels. Challenger (Belgium) 9 shots - 6 squirrels.

Attachments

• jc higgins .22lr 004.JPG
    jc higgins .22lr 004.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 76
  • gun fight friday 003.jpg
    gun fight friday 003.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 77
My primary tree rat guns. Learned to shoot at 5yo in basement with a Stevens (Model 11, I recall) rolling breech block non-adjustable iron sight single shot .22 which Dad bought for me at an estate sale......was just like he had learned to shoot with. Then, graduated to Dad's J.C. Higgins, maybe Model 30, semi-auto .22 with a 4x scope.......spring retracting sling. Still hunt with both to re-live great memories of squirrel hunting with my Dad. Now have numerous added .22s......Winchesters, Remingtons, Weatherby XXII, Begaras, Tikka T1X and TAC A1, and many more. But, typically return to the first two for squirrels. The open sight Stevens became easy to shoot again once I got store bought eyes with double cataract surgeries in 2016....:) :) :) Squirrel hunting really teaches younguns to really hunt, rather than ambushing as most do today when deer "shooting"...er, hunting. Really fun with a good squirrel dog, especially one that understands to bark loudly on the opposite side of the tree from the guy with the .22.
Just curious has anyone tried barking at squirrels ? I do an it seems to be quite effective, lol

Just curious has anyone tried barking at squirrels ? I do an it seems to be quite effective, lol
My dad and I used to compete with our 22 pistols. He used a Ruger and I a Hawes Western Marshal. We would sit on opposite sides of the hill but little did he know I would take a pocket full of small rocks a flipping them onto the dry leaves while barking like a squirrel was very productive. I always won. Dad is 87yrs old now and I never gave away my secret 😃

Longhunter, Are there ANY squirrels left in your woods? ;o)

My RUGER 96/22 mag lever gun (yes, RUGER once made nice lever guns) with a Green River octagonal barrel is my squirrel gun.
The scope is Bushnell Whitetail 1.75 - 4 with a 1" tube. Just the right size for that little rifle.
I've killed a few squirrels and groundhogs with it when I lived in Pennsylvania.

Longhunter, Are there ANY squirrels left in your woods? ;o)

My RUGER 96/22 mag lever gun (yes, RUGER once made nice lever guns) with a Green River octagonal barrel is my squirrel gun.
The scope is Bushnell Whitetail 1.75 - 4 with a 1" tube. Just the right size for that little rifle.
I've killed a few squirrels and groundhogs with it when I lived in Pennsylvania.
loaded with them. I went to war with them after they ate the wiring in my truck and tractor. Shot several hundred in my back yard. Would shoot 50 with the .22 and then 50 with the 17hmr.
Stopped a couple of years ago and now I see at least a dozen a day next to the house. Our cats Percious Ann with only one eye would catch a few a week - she passed away and Oreo has a bum leg so he can't catch them anymore.
Time to breakout the Volquartsen 17hmr again.