Tree Squirrel Rifles

a moment later...
1655759406910.png

All of the rifles at the beginning of this thread:
Marlin 39A $200 new.
Cost: $158 for Marlin 60 new
$187 for Marlin 7000 (I have two of those rifles now. I won't describe them as tack drivers, because at 50 yards a tack head is way too big) Both new.
I have 2 CZ 452's (Hey, big spender!) $369 for the first one and $387 for the second one. Both new.

The Bergara BMR is the most expensive 22 LR I have ever bought (I am a low income man). $450 Thought I was crazy at the time, but I do really like it and killed 3 Fox and 2 Grays with it this morning. So, I guess I don't regret it. Don't tell my wife, shhhhh!

Last edited:
My squirrel guns.
Marlin 25nc got it when I was 12, I pulled weeds the 1 summer to get it. I've made some impressive shots with it.

Ruger 10/22 I tricked out with a Kidd barrel and action/bolt parts, reworked the trigger…..thing hammers with standard velocity ammo.

Hatsan .22 cal pcp pellet gun. Some mods on it, not too many because I don't have an easy way to air the thing up(hand pump)to 2900psi😳. Bought it when that one so called President got elected in 08 and 22lr bullets were next to extinction. That hatsan is not a $3k gun and it does what I need it to, I think I bought it for $500ish with the pump and pellets. 1000+/- fps kills everything that it hits……coons, opossums, armadillos, squirrels, pest birds. Wouldn't mind having a bigger bore one but the charging of the air puts me on the fence of buying one yet, one day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
  • 6F97111D-E418-4E22-AD4D-8A8C8513B963.jpeg
    6F97111D-E418-4E22-AD4D-8A8C8513B963.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 65
My squirrel guns.
Marlin 25nc got it when I was 12, I pulled weeds the 1 summer to get it. I've made some impressive shots with it.

Ruger 10/22 I tricked out with a Kidd barrel and action/bolt parts, reworked the trigger…..thing hammers with standard velocity ammo.

Hatsan .22 cal pcp pellet gun. Some mods on it, not too many because I don't have an easy way to air the thing up(hand pump)to 2900psi😳. Bought it when that one so called President got elected in 08 and 22lr bullets were next to extinction. That hatsan is not a $3k gun and it does what I need it to, I think I bought it for $500ish with the pump and pellets. 1000+/- fps kills everything that it hits……coons, opossums, armadillos, squirrels, pest birds. Wouldn't mind having a bigger bore one but the charging of the air puts me on the fence of buying one yet, one day.
Save up and get yourself a carbon tank, it's worth it. I had my pcp for 6 years before I did. The first 2 months I had my tank, I shot that gun more than I did the entire previous 6 years ha ha. I just got a large cheap carbon tank from amazon, and then spent more money on a quality American made valve.

I also need to go back to my winchester 52 and get it going again, it deserves a better scope for sure......

Save up and get yourself a carbon tank, it's worth it. I had my pcp for 6 years before I did. The first 2 months I had my tank, I shot that gun more than I did the entire previous 6 years ha ha. I just got a large cheap carbon tank from amazon, and then spent more money on a quality American made valve.

I also need to go back to my winchester 52 and get it going again, it deserves a better scope for sure......
Yeah that's the plan, but I have to get it charged some how. I've checked with a local scuba place and they can only do 3000psi which will work but not for very long unless you have a large volume tank. You can buy a compressor that goes up to 4k-5k psi for this from around $600-1000+ the last I checked. Lol I've had mine for a long time and that has been my drawback, darn is it a workout to air it up, I don't go below 100-150 bar for that reason.

I had a gamo "one pump" air rifle that shot awesome and was fast but I left it outside and got rained on and ruined it ☹️. It was one that the barrel stayed stationary and there was a handle underneath the pumped/cocked it.

Yeah that's the plan, but I have to get it charged some how. I've checked with a local scuba place and they can only do 3000psi which will work but not for very long unless you have a large volume tank. You can buy a compressor that goes up to 4k-5k psi for this from around $600-1000+ the last I checked. Lol I've had mine for a long time and that has been my drawback, darn is it a workout to air it up, I don't go below 100-150 bar for that reason.

I had a gamo "one pump" air rifle that shot awesome and was fast but I left it outside and got rained on and ruined it ☹️. It was one that the barrel stayed stationary and there was a handle underneath the pumped/cocked it.
Talk to your local fire department and see if they would be willing to fill your tank, all of their air tanks are 4500 psi and they have the compressors. Some will some won't but I get mine filled up there

Great thread... Nothing like squirrel hunting.
my great grandfather mainly used a Winchester model 75 with a weaver K4 in the 50s and 60s.
last year I bought a CZ457 in 22wmr and I love it.
Had a good Athlon scope on it but recently put a 2.5x10 NXS because life is to short for less than perfect optics.
shoots the 40gr cci jhp and fmj great
group is just average for the gun at 50yds.
278B2D24-B371-4B0F-B333-5ADE0E92BA31.jpeg
8DADC924-D9CE-4751-807D-6748390455C1.jpeg

Those Arizona Squackers are sporting some stylish ear tufts! I sure like their looks. Have never seen one breathing.
They are very pretty squirrels, definitely aren't as tasty as the young reds back east but they are decent and fun to hunt.

Not traditional but sure is effective. KRG stock, Kidd barrel, Timney trigger. Testing ammo for the fall.
I have 3 10/22's right now that are tricked out with different aftermarket triggers, bolts and stocks and scopes, but the one consistent thread is the Magpul X22 stock. I normally hate all the "tacticool" bs but man are the ergos on that stock absolutely perfect. I liked that stock so much I ended up buying a Magpul 700 Hunter stock as well.