1113150909a [22459].jpg

Attachments

• New Swift on Marlin 39AS with organic free-range limb chicken - Copy.jpg
    New Swift on Marlin 39AS with organic free-range limb chicken - Copy.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 539
  • New 7000 First Fox Squirrel.jpg
    New 7000 First Fox Squirrel.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 537
Can't find all the Monkey or Fox Squirrel pictures. Shot 250 grays in the back yard, nothing less than 50yrds and out past 100. Would shoot 50 with the TC then 50 with the Volquartsen. They ate the wires out of my truck engine and tractor so we went to war. I had several real nice Monkey & Fox squirrels along with coyote hides and a real nick Gray fox in the big freezer in the basement. I went on a business trip and somehow before I left the electrical cord got knocked out and the freezer stopped working. Jill went into the basement and the items started to thaw so she threw all of them out. She thought that since they started to thaw they would not be any good. So I lost all the contents.
Still have two really nice rimfires.

Attachments

• Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 457
  • Monkey.JPG
    Monkey.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 459
  • 22LR TC Classic.jpg
    22LR TC Classic.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 22LR TC Classic Leupold 3x9 Fimfire.jpg
    22LR TC Classic Leupold 3x9 Fimfire.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 17HMR Volquartsen Leupold 3X9 Rim fire.jpg
    17HMR Volquartsen Leupold 3X9 Rim fire.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 17HMM Volk with Leupold 3X9 Rimfire.jpg
    17HMM Volk with Leupold 3X9 Rimfire.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
As a midwest kid, I used to hunt with an old Win Model 61 pump mostly. That and a single shot Winchester. Now that I am way older I decided to get a higher end varmint gun. Vudoo with light barrel and McMillan stock is doing quite well. This and a 581 rounds out my entire 22 rimfire battery.

I forgot to add in the rifle from my youth. My dad bought this Savage Model 29B in 1949. I started shooting it around 5 years old. Shot many squirrels, but we mainly used this on the shoot "Rats" along the Lackawanna River and in the Rail Road Yard in Moosic PA. Between the both of us we shot thousands of rats. At the time my father was the Yard Master for CNJ RR and he would take me to work with him. The Yard had a lot of rats due to the grain spilling out of RR cars and the River at that time was polluted and loaded with rats. About an hour before dark the rats would start coming out. Sure made me a sharpshooter trying to hit a rat at 75-100 yards with iron sights! I remember every couple of weeks my father would buy us a brick of Federal 22 LR Hollow Points in a bright red box. They were Less than $5 a brick back then (penny a shot).

Attachments

• Savage 29B.jpg
    Savage 29B.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 530
No fair! No shotguns allowed for squirrels! But I can't see irons anymore anyway. My last iron sight hunt was quite a few years ago with the Marlin 39. Now it is scopes for all squirrel guns.
I guess that I would have a hard time with your "Challange" and would have to spike the deck.
Yep only use scopes on rifles now and switched to Red dots/Lasers on most pistols, but can still see the iron's the Buckmark!
I don't think that I shot the Savage 29B since I restored it back in the mid 80s. Lot of memories with that 22 for sure.

I've got the perfect pump action squirrel killer, it's from 1924. It's a Browning Trombone that I got from my grandpa several years ago. It was shot out so I got it resleeved and drilled for a scope mount on it at the same time, it's a take down so it splits in half. Pretty cool keepsake along with a Browning BAR in 7mm Rem Mag that I got from grandpa.

Attachments

• IMG_20171128_2202584.jpg
    IMG_20171128_2202584.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 339

Recent Posts