Traveling To Canada With A DUI

buffalorancher

One of the things I took away from the show in Harrisburg was the fact that traveling to Canada is not like it was even a few years ago. There were a lot of stories of people being sent back at the border because of a DUI or other crimes. If you are planning a trip north be sure to check on your eligibilty to enter the country. The customs website lists different ways to get in and what can keep you out but in the end it is up to the customs agent if you get in or not. The Maine bear hunters were doing well at the show and I had at least a half dozen people tell me they will never visit Canada again because of them or somebody they know being sent home.

It's been that way for a number of years, albeit not with consistancy, but 9/11 changed that.

It has happened in both directions too. Canadians turned back because they have an inpaired driving conviction (DUI). Remember that it is a criminal offence.

In Canada we can get a pardon after 5 years of staying out of trouble.

I've hunted in Canada a lot. We cross the border by car and spend the usual amount of time in the check station, as we cross over. Over the years I have seen many guys get turned back. It's not just DWI, they will turn you back for all kinds of things. A group of 4 guys that were in camp only had 3 get across. The 4th guy said they found a decades old charge against him for having sex as a minor, which was illegal at the time. He said it wasn't even true and that the case was thrown out and the records sealed. But somehow, 40yrs later, a partial record emerged.

This guy was well connected and used all of his resources to get the matter cleared up. It took 4 days for the situation to be resolved and he made it to the camp on his last day.

Occasionally, I travel with 1 or 2 new guys that haven't crossed before. I tell them that if there is any reason that you may be denied entry that we're all screwed because I just can't leave a guy at the border. If there is any question about a new guy, I won't travel with them.

Lastly, I asked one of the more talkative Canadian Border Guards; why all these issues with stopping people from crossing because of decades old minor issues. He said it really got ramped up with the Canadian Border Stations when the US Border Stations imposed ridiculously stringent restrictions on Canadians who were crossing into the US. This apparently all started some time after the 911 attack.

I know people that's were turned around well before 9/11. As far as I know it's the same as it always has been.

I believe there is a way to get in with a DUI but it is a long process that cost some money also remember it being a one time thing.

Had a crewman turned around in 19 for mip as a minor, that was more than a decade old at the time.

I crossed at least once a year for the last 2 decades prior to covid, but a little gun shy now. Might of donated some money to some truckers, and with the current state of things they were going after people who gave less than I did..... It's been a little weird lately.

Funny but true story.

I was crossing with 3 other guys for a weeklong bear hunt. When asked about alcohol (it seems that's all they care about) I told them that I had a box of wine. "How much wine", I was asked. I said it was a 5-liter box. The guy immediately asks me, "have you ever been arrested for a DWI". Ahahahahah One box of wine for 5 guys over 5 days and they had me pegged for a drunk!

Funny thing is that they knew the answer to the question before I even pulled up to the window. Border crossing has become a PITA lately so I'm doing my black bear hunts in Maine now. Got my moose in Maine too. 😁

I've had them strip my car down clear to fender wells over 8 hrs because the window clerk saw a piece of 22lr brass caught in the vent of my car. They were certain I was running guns, spent 7.5 hrs in a cell and my dog who was 14 weeks old was locked in a separate holding.

They apologized for disassembling my car to a state it was not really drivable but offered no tools to help. Didn't have my normal tool kit and they offered no help re assembling. Had the whole car load of goods spread all over the place, ended up repacking and tearing the wheel liners the reat of the way out. Strapped them across the roof until I found some car parts stores and proceeded to buy that part canada clean out.

Needless to say I'm still gun shy to shoot squeaks out of my car...

Haven't looked into it at all but was wondering if your required to have the Covid vaccination to cross into Canada?

Haven't looked into it at all but was wondering if your required to have the Covid vaccination to cross into Canada?

Not anymore. Ironically now we're the ones keeping folks out. Did a email to my congress person and senators this morning expressing my frustration with that. Sadly I'm not sure my congressman can read.... and ol Lisa's aides Don't respond anymore...

I've had them strip my car down clear to fender wells over 8 hrs because the window clerk saw a piece of 22lr brass caught in the vent of my car. They were certain I was running guns, spent 7.5 hrs in a cell and my dog who was 14 weeks old was locked in a separate holding.

They apologized for disassembling my car to a state it was not really drivable but offered no tools to help. Didn't have my normal tool kit and they offered no help re assembling. Had the whole car load of goods spread all over the place, ended up repacking and tearing the wheel liners the reat of the way out. Strapped them across the roof until I found some car parts stores and proceeded to buy that part canada clean out.

Needless to say I'm still gun shy to shoot squeaks out of my car...

That is the WORST story I've ever heard regarding a US/Canada border crossing. I think that would have cured me permanently.

I crossed last year twice...... first times in 20 years.....
last time before that was a moose hunt and went smooth....moose rack tied onto trailer top all our guns gear etc........No Problem what soever.
Last summer in July and again in Sept.......
P.I.A....

That is the WORST story I've ever heard regarding a US/Canada border crossing. I think that would have cured me permanently.
Well I've crossed 2-4 times a year since 1997, some years double that. Occasionally looked like the Beverly hillbillies, I'd say 90% were friendly one stand out bad and a couple that were the normal paper work pita.

Havent brought guns through since trudy, brought some cool bolt rigs through one year and my paper work check involved a small crowd of gun loonies in cbp getup looking at them. I was amused at a half dozen guys playing with my rifles, the wife didn't like the 45 minute delay of rapid fire questions.

Good and bad it's all part of the deal.

Fly to Canada. I had a dui in Canada when I was seventeen. Threw me in jail fir 24 hours, went to court, and they told me banned for life. I fly in for hunts now. No questions at the airports. No problems.