Traveling intyerstate with 50 Cal

I'll weigh-in here, as I can give a little better guidance.

I don't generally make it public (or try to hide it, for that matter), but I am a Denver Police officer.

Having said that, yes, our gun laws can be kind of on the "suck" end of the spectrum, but here's the lowdown for your situation.

It is not illegal for you to be "travelling" or transporting your firearm through our state or municipality. In the highly unlikely event that you were to actually be pulled over for any reason, you would simply articulate the fact that you are travelling through - on your way back home, and you would have no issues regarding the firearm being transported so long as it was unloaded.

As far as the "high-capacity mag" questions that have been raised - it is NOT illegal to own or possess them here. It is simply illegal to transfer them in Colorado - so, it is illegal to sell them.

I'll also say that the application of the law/enforcement of this gets about zero attention here. I happen to know of many retail outlets that used to sell full magazines in their disassembled state - while calling them "spare parts kits." Now these same stores don't even go through the effort of disassembling them. The "high-cap" laws just don't seem to have much teeth - or many sworn law enforcement officers just don't have the time, effort, or motivation to enforce such things.

Take this all for what it is worth.

PM me, if you'd like and I can give you further info.

I'll weigh-in here, as I can give a little better guidance.

I don't generally make it public (or try to hide it, for that matter), but I am a Denver Police officer.

Having said that, yes, our gun laws can be kind of on the "suck" end of the spectrum, but here's the lowdown for your situation.

It is not illegal for you to be "travelling" or transporting your firearm through our state or municipality. In the highly unlikely event that you were to actually be pulled over for any reason, you would simply articulate the fact that you are travelling through - on your way back home, and you would have no issues regarding the firearm being transported so long as it was unloaded.

As far as the "high-capacity mag" questions that have been raised - it is NOT illegal to own or possess them here. It is simply illegal to transfer them in Colorado - so, it is illegal to sell them.

I'll also say that the application of the law/enforcement of this gets about zero attention here. I happen to know of many retail outlets that used to sell full magazines in their disassembled state - while calling them "spare parts kits." Now these same stores don't even go through the effort of disassembling them. The "high-cap" laws just don't seem to have much teeth - or many sworn law enforcement officers just don't have the time, effort, or motivation to enforce such things.

Take this all for what it is worth.

PM me, if you'd like and I can give you further info.
Be safe.

I will be heading to Montanna to pick up a McMillan TAC50 and transporting it back to texas thru several states. NM, CO, WY. Only CO is of concern to me because of its changing politics.
I will be traveling in a station wagon...has no trunk...!!! I will be carruing powder, primers, brass, loaded ammo and the UNLOADED gun. Will any of that be a problem. I cant tell from reading all the online sources.

CA has laws against the 50 cal, do any other states prohibit the 50 Cal or its ammunition?
Not sure your timeline but when I traveled to New Mexico from New York for an elk /lion hunt I intended on using a handgun for the lion hunt. (The one in my avatar) I called every state that I intended to travel thru State Police and Sheriffs departments just to verify non residents handgun notification responsibilities. Both agencies in every state were very helpful.

Not sure your timeline but when I traveled to New Mexico from New York for an elk /lion hunt I intended on using a handgun for the lion hunt. (The one in my avatar) I called every state that I intended to travel thru State Police and Sheriffs departments just to verify non residents handgun notification responsibilities. Both agencies in every state were very helpful.
Ps none of anybody's da-# business what your traveling with, to or fro!

One overlooked aspect of transporting firearms is the definition of "locked" in a gun case means. As result, I physically lock my gun cases when transporting across state lines when I am traveling. Just an added precaution that may help any concerns by anyone.

Yeah, the ironic thing is that the case can be made of plastic, easily opened with a sharp knife and the padlock can be a $1 store toy. I always have a lock I carry in my pocket that is about the size of a quarter that I can slap onto anything that is required to have a lock.

A larger concern might be leaving Colorado with Texas plates. lots of neighboring law enforcement looking for drug traffickers. Won't be a problem if your not holding, but make sure all your firearms Are properly stowed for transport, set the cruise sensibly and happy trails.

10 -4, stay away form california. My SUV 4wd has no trunk. So I am supposed to put my firearms in a locked case/safe. Then chain and restrain it by locks to my floor thru the chassis.
Lock my ammunition in a different location, also secured to floor thru chassis.
I might be exaggerating a wee bit.
Hopefully other tyrannical anti 2nd amendment states won't be going this route.

§ 478.38 Transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Here you go.
LINK: BATF Firearm Transport

§ 478.38 Transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Here you go.
LINK: BATF Firearm Transport
Why then is it legal in Wyoming to carry loaded accessable weapons in vehicles ? Or does this ATF law just apply to Co. ? 🤔