Travel Medical Insurance

mudbug

I am headed to Namibia in July for my first African hunt and would like to know if anyone has gotten any travel medical insurance just in case you get hurt or sick. I would also like to know if anyone has used MedJet Assist or Global Rescue and your thoughts.

I will only be hunting Plains game, nothing dangerous, just would like to be prepared in case I do get sick.

Thanks,

Mudbug

I know for a fact some Blue Cross policies provide that coverage but participants usually are unaware of it. I'd suggest checking with your carrier first if you have existing commercial medical coverage. Processing the claims can be a bear especially if paperwork from doctors, labs, hospitals etc is not in English. As far as the 2 you mentioned...I don't know either.

I did talk with my insurance carrier and they will cover me over there, I just have to take a claim form and pay up front and then get reimbursed. Who knows how long that would take if I did get sick?

I would like to have someother insurance that would take care of all of that upfront.

Thanks for the reply

Wish I could help you out. Hopefully you'll be able to find a carrier who will pay up front...in an oversee situation it's going to probably be difficult if your sick and the treating entity won't provide you care w/o a guarantee of payment and that communication needs to cross the ocean and god knows what language barrier/s...and worst case the minutes are ticking away not to mention vast difference in time zones and your left waiting for your carriers RN or Dr to approve some procedure or treatment...unless of coarse your able to find a creditable carrier who in an oversee E/R facility covers 100% but, be careful cause then you can get into their definition on what constitutes an E/R. Be careful I used to process stateside and oversee claims for Blue X and the 2 can be very different...it can get complex.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.