Transporting your LR Rig on a UTV

Tikkamike

What are you guys using to transport your LR rigs in your UTV's? I have long barrels and 50mm Night Force Scopes on most of mine so finding a case for them is hard enough.. Any ideas? Pics are always great!

That's a tough one. I have never used a utv for hunting but if you are going to carry expensive LR rigs on it, I would get some pelican cases for your rifles and strap then down really good somehow. Only bad thing about that is that you would then have to hide your utv really well so that no one would happen upon it and steal the cases. The foam in those pelican cases are pretty good and will absorb a lot of shock while riding. Is there a good place on your utv to strap something like that down and be out of the way?

im thinking more along the lines of a heavily padded and somewhat rigid soft case that will unzip from either end and the rifles can be slid in or out. Probably not the absolute best protection but I dont PLAN to roll and if I do I am counting on the roll bar to do its job. I am wanting to attach the case to the cage behind my head.over the bed. Cabelas sells what I am looking for but they say its not waterproof at all

I have a Kubota 1140 and normally hunt with 2 buddies. I am the only one doing long range and I needed to make sure I had decent to and from field gun storage on my UTV. After looking around and doing lots of research, I bought Cabelas 52" TAC-Gear-UTV-Double-Gun-Case /1755643. Ended up actually with two of them strapped to the back screen and can transport 4 guns. Padding seems to be quite adequate and it accommodates my McMillan stocked Savage model 12 with a 56MM Nightforce scope. Overall my rifle measures 50" in length. This is the largest soft padded case I could find. Not a big fan of all the "TAC" crap nomenclature, but what ever makes em happy. As far as to the hunting grounds from my house I have a Pelican/Storm/Cabelas hard case with the foam. If I knew it was gonna be a real bad trip to the hunting area from the camp, then I'd use the hard case, but so far, the soft case has been great. If you only have one gun, then you could put it on the outside slot and increase the padded protection more between your rifle and the roll bar screen. I wish I had a pic, but just put the rig up after a blow off some steam to the lease trip. If I get a sec I'll get a couple of pics posted later tonight.

I attached one of the Trailmax Guardian Rifle Scabbards that I bought off of this site to the side of my Rzr. They are very well padded and easily hold my long range rig. It has nylon straps that I weave through the bed and roll bar, attaches easy. I throw a couple of zip ties on it for good measure. Protects from brush but could get hung up if not careful but I have never had an issue.

Since my Rzr is only 50" wide if I mounted the rifle across the back window it stuck out on the sides and I would rather have it pointed forward than sideways if I ever do catch it on something. I also did not like how a rear window mounted gun blocked my view out the back.

Attachments

• PB010468.jpg
    PB010468.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.