transporting elk meat

What size of an ice chest do you need to carry one cow elk completely boned out?

What do you need to keep with your elk meat in Colorado to legally validate proof of sex?

Are there any Colorade Game laws against completely boning out a cow elk in the back country and packing out just the meat?

Thanks,

Texasmeathunter

If you bust a good cow your looking at about 115 lbs of meat all boned, roughly, some go a little more some a little less. Field boning generally cuts it down a little also.
Don't know about the legal issues in Co.

What size of an ice chest do you need to carry one cow elk completely boned out?

What do you need to keep with your elk meat in Colorado to legally validate proof of sex?

Are there any Colorade Game laws against completely boning out a cow elk in the back country and packing out just the meat?

Thanks,

Texasmeathunter

If you bone out your elk, evidence of sex needs to be attached to one quarter or another major part of the carcass. All portions must be transported together.
Evidence of sex is not required after the carcass is processed, wrapped and frozen, or stored at the licensee's home.
Source: Colorado 2010 Big Game Hunting manual.

Phil

I've got a 150 qt Coleman cooler , it is plenty big . I don't bone my meat out and I can fit all the meat in it with room for dry ice and some room to spare . Jim

ah, i see. and to think, i would have gone out and bought a bunch of lame, regular ice! :) it's the little things that count.

I use a coleman extreme in I believe 56 quart, I freeze rinsed out antifreeze bottles of water and lay them down on the bottom, put my meat in 2 zippered pillowcases and lay on the top of the bottles. This keeps the meat from sitting in the blood. I then pour crushed ice on top and drain as needed, this helps to wash out excess blood. I will change out the bottom ice every other day and add ice to the top as needed. I age my meat this way in my kitchen untill ready to process.

I use large igloo coolers the bigger the better
I have 2x6 cut so they will stand up across the cooler
I place bags of ice between them to create a layer of ice below the meat.
the 2x6 keep the meat out of the water.
I cover it with a nylon tarp and pack ice in on top the tarp forces the water to run down to the bottom of the cooler not on the meat.
The last bear I did this way way in the cooler for 3 days and the fish and game guy who checked the bear was upset i did not thaw the skull after freezing it before th check I informed him it was keeped in the cooler so he checked it anyway.
the only down side is it takes lots of ice some tome 8 to 10 bags jus to start off per cooler

I always let my meat sit in ICE water as it helps constrict the meat and squeezes out the blood and drain the blood water out of the bottom and fill with new ice for 48 hrs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.