Trajectory Correction...

Skinny Shooter

Do you use MOA or inches to determine the amount of come-ups needed at distance?
I've been calculating inches for awhile and have a friend who feels that MOA is the way to go instead.
Thanks,
Allen

littletoes, I knew you were lurking around over here and thanks.
Mine are also but I was wondering if folks used inches to calculate their clicks or just spun up the knob using the MOA listed on it.

Hello Skinny

Either way will work for you.

I prefer to work in clicks instead of the MOA. I think it might be a bit quicker. In reality I use a combination of both at times.

If my "click" chart (taped on the side of the rifle) calls for a certain amount of clicks, you simply dial that amount.

Knowing that one complete revolution on the Leupold has 60 clicks or 15 MOA, I find that the clicks are more direct and accurate and eleminates the need to calculate one more math transfer in your head.

For instance, If your "MOA" chart calls for 20.7 MOA you must figure the .7 added to the 20MOA and you have to Multiply the .7 Times 4 to get 2.8 (round to 3) clicks added to the 20MOA or 80 Clicks. Total now is 83 clicks needed.
So you are going back to clicks even though you are starting out with MOA.
Why not just do the clicks to begin with or a combination of both?

Use the same senario as above with clicks. Your "click" chart calls for 82.8 (round off to 83 clicks) make one complete revolution plus twenty three and your there. You can also go this way, one complete rev is 15 MOA plus 5 More MOA plus 3 clicks.

Remember some scopes such as Unertls and the old B&L with Kuharsky Rear mounts are 50 clicks in one revolution instead of 60 like the Leupold has. That's 12.5 MOA per revolution now. In this instance it is MUCH easier to go with clicks for me.

When using clicks you don't count 1 click, 2 clicks, 3 clicks and so on. If you know the chart calls for 65 clicks, you spin one quick revolution plus 5 clicks rapidly. Much quicker for the user insted of dialing up 16.2 MOA.--Your back to 16 MOA plus .2 X 4 = .8 clicks or round off to 1 more click needed.

Whatever a person is more comfortable with will work for THAT individual.
Pick the way that is "best and quickest" way for "you."
That's why we are all different.

Later
DC

Darryl, thanks.
That's what I was trying to explain to my bud and to me it seemed like another computation to figure.
If you click up to one range and then need to shoot even further out, do you go back down to zero before clicking up for the longer range?

Allen

Hello Skinny

I usually, but not always, take off the clicks back to zero but you don't have to.

As long as you remember how many clicks you had on and just add or subtract the amount needed to go to the next range you need. That range may be closer or further. All you have to do is look at the scopes elevation and windage knobs to know how many clicks are on.

For instance, you just shot at 1000 yards and you needed 80 clicks for that range. You now see another target at 1200 yards and the chart calls for 110 clicks, simply add 30 clicks to what you already have.

Any good scope such as Leupold LR, Mark 4 and Nightforce (there are other brands too) will repeat the clicks just fine.

Later
DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.