Trail camera in Wyoming

huntinfool18

Here is the regulation straight from the book. What's your take on it? I'm interested in using a trail cam that send pics to my phone. Does this mean you just can't use them during hunting season or can't use them period?

"A trail camera, or similar device, that can only store an image, picture or video inside the device, and which does not have the capability to utilize cellular or Wi-Fi technology to transmit images or video for remote viewing is permissible for use in the taking of any big game animal, trophy game animal or wild bison."

In or out of season is in question from what I read as its not clear if they are allowed "out of season"

Its pretty clear that the cell cams or wifi cams are not an option to aide or enable a harvest though.

Id call a CO and confirm and get answers from the source.

So if you use a cellular camera out of season, are you not using it to "aid in taking" a game animal even if used out of season? You are gathering info remotely for taking in season which is what States are getting leery of using them. I doubt you can get a CO to say in WRITING otherwise. Even then, I would prefer a written confirmation from WGFD directly which has substantially more legal weight than a CO. Unless CO can provide a specific written interpretation from WGFD.

I would also be cautious of using a cell camera with feature turned off since it is capable of cellular. This is one heck of a slippery slope to stay off IMO.

Last edited:
Here is the regulation straight from the book. What's your take on it? I'm interested in using a trail cam that send pics to my phone. Does this mean you just can't use them during hunting season or can't use them period?

"A trail camera, or similar device, that can only store an image, picture or video inside the device, and which does not have the capability to utilize cellular or Wi-Fi technology to transmit images or video for remote viewing is permissible for use in the taking of any big game animal, trophy game animal or wild bison."
Legally this is actually very clear. There is NO SEASON involved. You can not use any device utilizing cellular or Wi-Fi technology to transmit images or video.

This entire regulation was written to block all current and future "remote" scouting activity. This regulation includes drones, trail cameras, etc. Download and read the entire regulation. Don't rely on this one quote although even this is crystal clear.

Why the regulation? Besides the obvious personal use, there are now groups/companies popping up testing the waters for a subscription model selling "hunting information" to include a premium component. This component is intended to include live image access. How do I know this for sure? Our company works with start ups in the outdoor recreation field. We have been pitched business models to transmit live tourism related feeds from everywhere in the US. Live feeds from national monuments, parks, etc. The idea is a virtual tour without leaving your home. This is just one of hundreds of models being pursued due to the improved technology and cell service/wifi capabilities.

To me it could be taken in several ways. What if you aren't using it for hunting?? And you just like viewing the animals?? What if you are using it to scout but have it out before hunting season opens?? Then you aren't technically using it to "take" game animals.
I can see the whole point behind not being able to use during hunting season but in the spring and summer you aren't using it to "take" animals.

So if you hunt the area the cellular pictures were taken, even out of season, do you have information that was provided from a cellular camera?

Then formally ask WGFD for a written interpretation. Then you have it in writing to defend yourself if needed from CO using it out of season etc.

No one else can definitively provide you a true legal interpretation.

To me it could be taken in several ways. What if you aren't using it for hunting?? And you just like viewing the animals?? What if you are using it to scout but have it out before hunting season opens?? Then you aren't technically using it to "take" game animals.
I can see the whole point behind not being able to use during hunting season but in the spring and summer you aren't using it to "take" animals.
You are in WY. Why don't you just give WGFD a call?

Colorado already has the exact same regulation in place. As do 32 other states before I stopped looking.

Are trail cameras Legal? The use of trail cameras is legal. ... Colorado prohibits the use of trail cameras that use the internet or other computer-assisted remote technology while hunting or fishing. For more information, see the "Live Action Game Camera" section of the CPW General Provisions regulations.

https://www.cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Faq.aspx

What does it matter what everyone thinks . What matters is the law and WGFD can interpret that for you. Maybe you won't like what they tell you, but it should be right.

What it looks like to me is: Trail Cams are getting away out of hand. I have trail cams that I have used over the years in Az. In Montana I haven't use one. To me it's more personal, than trying to show the world what there. I hunt generally petty much on my own, with a friend or two or sons.
I would much rather spot and stock, which I do it rifle hunting. Bow hunting it's a different story.
Now if there people that are going to sell info on whats going on in an area to the world for possible hunting areas No and hell no! Than have any area where everybody load up to try and hunt one or two animals. That doesn't work for me. I would move on to a different area. Now in Az, I use trail cams to give me idea as to what's going on there. I could lord over the water hole, which can create problems for any animal wanting to drink. I look for area that there isn't much in the way of people there. In Az they are claiming 30 to 40 trail cams at one location. I would have a good laugh and move on. Stupid is, Stupid does! How anybody would think that you are going to get a shot at an animal is beyond me with that many people visiting a waterhole.
I learned a very long time ago not to say where I am hunting for deer, elk, and antelope . I Might Give them a State.

Legally this is actually very clear. There is NO SEASON involved. You can not use any device utilizing cellular or Wi-Fi technology to transmit images or video.

This entire regulation was written to block all current and future "remote" scouting activity. This regulation includes drones, trail cameras, etc. Download and read the entire regulation. Don't rely on this one quote although even this is crystal clear.

Why the regulation? Besides the obvious personal use, there are now groups/companies popping up testing the waters for a subscription model selling "hunting information" to include a premium component. This component is intended to include live image access. How do I know this for sure? Our company works with start ups in the outdoor recreation field. We have been pitched business models to transmit live tourism related feeds from everywhere in the US. Live feeds from national monuments, parks, etc. The idea is a virtual tour without leaving your home. This is just one of hundreds of models being pursued due to the improved technology and cell service/wifi capabilities.
I'm in complete agreement with ColoradoElkHunter on this one. His second sentence distills the WyoFW rule to it's essence...