Tragic bear attack in Wyoming

That's a very interesting and tragic story; and to many of our points above. Was that in Jackson by chance? I had a couple close calls with a sow and three cubs that were up to no good around that school behind the bull pasture. Anyway, right or wrong or any debate over charge, lethality of weapon, etc... that man is still alive. And dude, a MAN he is!! Jesus! While he is very lucky, that man was not without a plan. Too bad the client didn't know what to do and he can thank his life to that guide. Just as easily could have been him or both which to my point you AND your partner have to have a solid verbal plan ahead of time. Doing nothing or running are again NOT options and will likely be lethal.

Two revolvers, two shotguns, two rifles, and two hand grenades. That should be good for 9 bears. Three 3-member families.
And then also hunt with Muhammad Ali, for backup.

If that guide stopped 3 charging bears with a 9mm, and killed the 4th at distance with the same 9mm, I expect he can also walk on water.

This same guide several years earlier killed four grizzlies at the same time. It was a sow and three, two year old cubs. The sow charged when he was gutting an elk. He dropped her and the first cub charged so he killed it. He was changing his clip and the third cub charged. The cub tackled him and started chewing his thigh. He shot it in the head while he was on the ground. The last cub stood there and he dumped it before it charged. This was all with a 9mm Glock. I was one drainage over when it happened.

How far was the sow's carcass from the guide's shooting position?
In other words, where did the sow drop for good, relative to the guide's shooting position, and from his position while shooting the cubs?

Last edited:
We were charged one time in the Thorofare by a big boar. My guide fired 7 or 8 shots. The bear turned at 15 feet and ran over to a tree and started raking it and growling like nothing I've ever heard. Then he walked into the timber howling and growling as he left the area. I asked my guide if he thought he hit it. He said you saw what I saw. This same guide several years earlier killed four grizzlies at the same time. It was a sow and three, two year old cubs. The sow charged when he was gutting an elk. He dropped her and the first cub charged so he killed it. He was changing his clip and the third cub charged. The cub tackled him and started chewing his thigh. He shot it in the head while he was on the ground. The last cub stood there and he dumped it before it charged. This was all with a 9mm Glock. I was one drainage over when it happened. He said his hunter froze, had dropped his rifle and was quivering when he got over to him. He rode into Cody for treatment, was interrogated by the Feds, and the entire thing was treated like murder investigation. If not for his hunter's corroboration and having his leg chewed up, he would've went to jail. I got rid of my revolver and now carry a 10mm Glock in the back country. Six shots won't get it if there's more than one bear.

Triplets are not uncommon, either. Something to think about for sure.

Probably not water, but I'd bet the G&F office in Cody could verify for ya. It was Sept, 1995 or 96. Silvertip drainage in the Thorofare. Or you could check with some of the outfitters/guides that were up there back in the day: Gary Fales, Ron Lineberger, Jay Reynolds, or Bill Perry.

Two revolvers, two shotguns, two rifles, and two hand grenades. That should be good for 9 bears. Three 3-member families.
And then also hunt with Muhammad Ali, for backup.

If that guide stopped 3 charging bears with a 9mm, and killed the 4th at distance with the same 9mm, I expect he can also walk on water.

I don't know what "Probably not water," means. Whatever...
The shooting of the only sow grizzly I've observed with two large cubs took all the spunk out of the surviving cubs. They only wanted to be around their mother. They were looking for direction from her, just as they had their entire lives. They acted completely confused, as if unable to make decisions on their own.
The only humans that know what happened in the Thorofare while those grizzlies were shot are the ones that witnessed it. If I'd shot a sow and her three cubs, my statement to F&G might not be a replica of exactly what happened. Law enforcement will issue citations if provided any justification to do so. That's what they do for a living.

I don't judge the guide's decision to shoot the bears. I doubt the description of what happened. Glad the guide survived.

Above is my lower 48 plan. AK gets a no mess around long gun on both people or very large wheel gun that can be handled by the user (long gun for me). Also, I'm law abiding and respect law enforcement, but not much good can come from the report. I'm not going to be interrogated whether it was bluff charge or true attack. That debate ONLY belongs on the mountain and with the animal and humans actually involved at the scene. As previously stated, any charge is as serious as a brandished weapon from a person. I'm all systems alert with lethal intent not backing down and don't think I or anybody can think quick enough to decipher at that moment what is right and wrong or the human or bear's true intent is. Bottom line, Human pulls a gun on me, you're dead. Bear charges me or my partner, same thing regardless of what any LE says. I'm protecting human life at all costs and will suffer legal consequences (alive) later.
If you plan to leave the bear and not report the attack you'd better be sure to recover your bullets.

Lots of great bear tales in this thread; some may have actually happened.
sad deal for those involved no doubt and my prays are with them. As for bears, I respect them as long as we have that mutual agreement. If not then I take corrective measures. I do not carry bear spray, I try not to be too close and when I am I read the bear best I can, as stated earlier most of my encounters have been on salmon streams in AK and for the most parts bears a fairly content fishing. The few I have killed I was hunting them and had no issues. I seen several in the Yellowstone country when I lived and hunted WY but as luck had it we never had a close call, I think that was due to the mutual respect. I wouldn't hesitate to kill a threatening bear anywhere...perhaps they know that.

Last edited:
Just for size reference here is my 5'9" girlfriend with a big *** bear. She's a vet and had to do some xrays on it and is always down for some selfies...."he's tame" Whatever
She's the required vet on site with a dart gun when they do a commercial, not that it's going to help but that's the rules.
grizz.jpg
G2.jpg
G2.jpg

Another fatal bear incident; this one on Admiralty Island SE AK. 18 year old OK kid on their helio crew exploration crew. I think it was Timberline drilling crew.
Sad deal for the family of this young adventurer; Alaska offers some amazing experiences but you do have to be prepared for the worst and willing to accept the outcome. I work on Admiralty Island for this mining company and it was an awesome place, there are many, many brown bears on the island and we frequently had them at the mine office/shop area and down at the man camp in Hawk Inlet as well at the boat dock in Youngs Bay. Prays are with the family, friends and Greens Creek team.

Just for size reference here is my 5'9" girlfriend with a big *** bear. She's a vet and had to do some xrays on it and is always down for some selfies...."he's tame" Whatever
She's the required vet on site with a dart gun when they do a commercial, not that it's going to help but that's the rules.View attachment 106895 View attachment 106896 View attachment 106896
There used to be a commercial for some food/candy that had a song playing throughout, "Just one Bite".

She's not only good looking she's got some serious guts. Better hang on to that one!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.