Tragic bear attack in Wyoming

OK, I try to hold my tongue, but what WildBillG says is ludicrous and I see too many espouse the same point. Tell me, how do you think hunting will give bears respect of man? The purpose of hunting is to kill the animal. It's not like the bears are all sitting on a ridge posting on Facebook, Twitter, etc. if they see their buddy get killed. Bears in Canada and Alaska have been hunted forever and still kill/maul every year! It's just nonsensical.

I wonder about the guide and hunter. They should have known leaving an animal overnight is just asking for trouble.They both should have come back with rifles with enough caliber and bullet weight and one should been on guard while the other took care of the elk. The guide should have known better, than to leave him and his customer in possible danger

Just got out of the high country today. Only sign we saw was griz. No problem with the bear and I have never had a problem with a bear. That said every year that goes by the griz lose respect for people when there is no hunting.

We have plenty here!

Steve

Steve, What did you carry for bear protection?

OK, I try to hold my tongue, but what WildBillG says is ludicrous and I see too many espouse the same point. Tell me, how do you think hunting will give bears respect of man? The purpose of hunting is to kill the animal. It's not like the bears are all sitting on a ridge posting on Facebook, Twitter, etc. if they see their buddy get killed. Bears in Canada and Alaska have been hunted forever and still kill/maul every year! It's just nonsensical.
You clearly have not lived in the immediate proximity of grizzly bears. That or you're a slow learner.
Who said the value of hunting was to educate all bears? The value of hunting is to remove the most problematic bears that lose their fear of people because they live and have been raised in proximity to humans. They learn there's nothing to fear, and some get bold and aggressive, and attack and kill. Hunters remove these bears because they expose themselves to hunters more often due to their comfort around humans.

You clearly have not lived in the immediate proximity of grizzly bears. That or you're a slow learner.
Who said the value of hunting was to educate all bears? The value of hunting is to remove the most problematic bears that lose their fear of people because they live and have been raised in proximity to humans. They learn there's nothing to fear, and some get bold and aggressive, and attack and kill. Hunters remove these bears because they expose themselves to hunters more often due to their comfort around humans.

He did literally say "to bring back their respect of man"

Its not a huge jump for someone to interpret that comment as educating the bear population to have respect of humans.

I understand your example (and it seems much more reasonable). However, saying hunting will remove problem bears that we don't address now(kill anyway after they kill a person) is different to me than saying we need to go back to hunting them to bring back their respect of man.

There are some parallels to the dog pound. Animal control doesn't educate all animals in their area of jurisdiction. That's not the their intent, or purpose. But they do preferentially remove an inordinate number of the problematic ones.
And so with hunting of bear. Hunters don't educate, or kill, them all. But they will preferentially remove the bear that are comfortable, or aggressive, in the presence of hunters and humans.

Last edited:
He did literally say "to bring back their respect of man"

Its not a huge jump for someone to interpret that comment as educating the bear population to have respect of humans.

I understand your example (and it seems much more reasonable). However, saying hunting will remove problem bears that we don't address now(kill anyway after they kill a person) is different to me than saying we need to go back to hunting them to bring back their respect of man.

The surviving population of bear in an area with open hunting results in way fewer bears killed in defense of life and property, compared to when they were not hunted for 15 -20 years. This was immediately borne out when brown bear season was re-opened after 23yrs of being closed to hunting where I live on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. There were also a good number of B&C boars killed when bear hunting was resumed.

It's unimaginable that some would interpret the post to mean that hunting bears will teach or train or modify behavior of all bears. Even bears miles away from those being killed. Give the member some credit.

Last edited:
OK, I try to hold my tongue, but what WildBillG says is ludicrous and I see too many espouse the same point. Tell me, how do you think hunting will give bears respect of man?......

.......The attitudes of both humans, and bears have been shaped by the current "policy". I doubt seriously this was the bears first encounter with people. People that did everything they could to avoid any of the legal entanglements that go with dealing with a problem bear. You don't need to go far to hear, these hunters had it coming, it's the bears home crap that follows such an incident.
......The grizzly is past carrying capacity in much of it's range, and hunting is the way to bring it back in line. Fewer numbers reduces contacts, and incidents.
......With everyone carrying video cameras there are no shortage of social media, youtube recordings of bears being allowed to violate peoples personal space without consequences. The bear learns with each encounter humans aren't something to be avoided.

Populations of animals of all kinds that are treated like prey by humans are much more elusive than populations of the same species that are not treated in the same manor. Call it whatever you like.

We kept a pistol in the tent and had our hunting rifles in the day. Fact is if a bear wants you in your tent, you are toast.

Steve

Bc gov just stopped grizzly hunting. A friend just came back from a guided caribou hunt. He said they were charged Multiple times by grizzlys while riding.

Concerning ppl who don't think shooting some grizzlies lowers attack percentages: why whenever I get the fly squatter out do all the flies leave?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts