Traditions pursuit ambush

callmaster64

I have a 50 cal traditions pursuit ambush and its giving me fits its brand new I dont know if its the scope that came with it or the loads im using. I was sighting it in with Hodgdon triple seven and 250 grain t/c shockwaves. And its all over the place. Any suggestions on loads that work well for you all.

I have a 50 cal traditions pursuit ambush and its giving me fits its brand new I dont know if its the scope that came with it or the loads im using. I was sighting it in with Hodgdon triple seven and 250 grain t/c shockwaves. And its all over the place. Any suggestions on loads that work well for you all.

I helped a guy yesterday with a new Traditions but, the Vortek. A very long story shorter about his day. His Nikon Pro Staff scope requires sending back to Nikon for repair or replacement, which Nikon will do for free.

First thing that you should do, is to spend about 30 to 40 minutes bore brushing and cleaning it out. Not kidding......

Although his rifle will group very well, when he adjusted the scope, the first shot would follow the adjustment, then every shot after would hit "who knows where" on the target. Then hold a group at that point, until you made an adjustment to correct and the process would repeated.

When he didn't adjust, his would hold a 1.5" group easily and one 3/4" group. But when the group is 7" off the bull and you can't correct, its time for a repair or new scope.

He shoots BH209, CCI209M primers, Barnes 250gr T-EZ bullets. After shooting BH209 yesterday, he said that when he got home, he was throwing out his T7 and wouldn't even give them to a friend.

For your specific rifle....... check the mounting of the scope and make sure that its tight and secure. Shoot it again but DO NOT adjust your scope. Shoot it at least three times, shooting at the same spot. Then, check the target to see if the bullets group. If the bullets all group, then make an adjustment and repeat the process. If they're flying all over, consider the scope (you didn't mention the kind or who mounted it), change your propellant charge or, possibly try another bullet.

Thanks we are gonna give it a good go tommorrow providing the rain stops. I appreciate the info. The scope come with the gun from traditions but im taking another one with just in case Thanks again.

Just an FYI...... your bases should be loc-tited down with the BLUE.... not the red. Blue will keep it secure, yet allow the screws to be removed. The red on the other hand..... you don't want to know.

Thanks for the help guys. We got her dialed in today using the black sabot with a hornady ftx 300 grain bullet and 100 grains of hodgdon pellets. I couldnt be happier with the results. And I thought it was gonna be tuff after the first time.

The guy I was helping yesterday showed back up today with a new, out of the box, scope. He was pretty excited about it and I was sure we'd be moving the bench to the 150yd mark with his Traditons.

Boy talk about BAD LUCK...... While trying to dial it in tight after just five shots, all of a sudden the 6th shot went haywire! Ok, he did something or, what the heck????

He loaded it back up, settled it in the rest, looked and said, "Something's wrong!" He handed me the rifle and before I even pulled it up, I realized that there WAS something wrong and very wrong...... The complete interior of his scope disintegrated! You could actually see one of the remaining lens that was broken and the center of the lens missing.

Now being honest, it wasn't the highest of quality scope but, I fully understand that some just can't afford to buy higher quality. Doesn't make it bad and many times they work just as good as higher quality. The scope happened to be a Simmons Whitetail. They'll repair or replace the scope for free but, knowing that certainly didn't help with his frustration. My bet is that he'll end up taking one of the scopes off a centerfire for the season. We'll get it I'm sure......

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.