Traditions .54 cal

The only reason to use something other than blackhorn in an inline is if you are not allowed to use a 209 primer, which is the case in Idaho, and why the recommendation to use blackhorn is of no use to the OP, especially since he is shooting a sidelock percussion gun. Even with a 209 primer, there are some that will not reliably light off blackhorn. Aside from that quirk, yes, blackhorn is a fantastic product.

Anyhow, OP, you mentioned that roundballs shoot well. Can you quantify well, and is there a reason you're not satisfied with using those?

The round balls and the conicals are shooting around a 5" group at 100 yards. At 150 I can hit a 12" plate fairly consistently with the conicals. The round balls accuracy falls apart after 100 yards. Plus Im hunting elk and want the most umph I can get. The conical is close to double the weight and looses less energy then the round ball. I wanna knock her over when it hits her. I have considered rnd ball but I think the conicals are what I'll be using. Good thing is the poi is almost identical between the two

Yeah, muzzleloaders seem to be more forgiving on POI with multiple projectiles than a centerfire. Have you tried the TC maxi balls? They have a 400 some grain 54 cal option that for me has shot differently than the hornady great plains (normally worse, but your gun could be different, especially since it doesn't like the great plains). My other useful suggestions would be to switch propellant, or to upgrade your sights. A rear peep is generally much easier to use than a notch sight, and if the peep goes on the tang you've added another 6-12" to your sight radius too.

What drop are you seeing from 100-150 yards with the conicals?

Yeah, muzzleloaders seem to be more forgiving on POI with multiple projectiles than a centerfire. Have you tried the TC maxi balls? They have a 400 some grain 54 cal option that for me has shot differently than the hornady great plains (normally worse, but your gun could be different, especially since it doesn't like the great plains). My other useful suggestions would be to switch propellant, or to upgrade your sights. A rear peep is generally much easier to use than a notch sight, and if the peep goes on the tang you've added another 6-12" to your sight radius too.

What drop are you seeing from 100-150 yards with the conicals?

I'm seeing roughly a 6" drop but I'm sighted just slightly high at 100. Maybe 2-3". I like to put my target right above my sight pic so I can actually see my target. At 150 I just cover the target with the sight and that puts it in there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.