Traditional Shooters

I'm doing most of my hunting with a Pacific Rifle Underhammer in 62 caliber now. Using a patched roundball over ox-yoke wonderwad with between 120-150 grains of Pyrodex rs. It will touch 3 shots at 50 yards with 120 grains. I have taken 3 deer, 1 elk, 1 hog and a turkey with it already. I actually carry it during our rifle season here in wisconsin instead of my scoped rifle. I also have a CVA double rifle in 50 cal with a set of interchangable 12 Gauge barrels ( my new hog and turkey gun) and just picked up a Jaeger Flintlock in 59 cal.

Last edited:
I just started I have a CVA mountain rifle w/ .54 and .58 cal barrels. I haven't shot it yet but I am itching to.

Anyone left that shoots traditional instead of these rifles with plastic stocks, stainless steel barrels, scopes, replica powder and saboted bullets?

I build and hunt with traditional muzzleloading rifles. It has been a big hobby of mine since I returned from Vietnam in 1969. I am hooked on varmint hunting and bench rest competition using center fire rifles as well. I guess I am a sucker for both ends of the street. I will have to say that I have enjoyed muzzle loading competition more than anything I have done over the years. I did build an inline action hunting rifle for a friend of mine in 1975 but never liked the job. It did shoot well (he killed a good buck at 153 paces ), but I never took another order because I disliked the work. Just didn't seem right!
Roger Sells

Has anyone ever tried one the Green Mountain drop-in replacement barrels? I've been told that they truely are a drop-in for the Thompson Center Hawken and are supposed to be more accurate...
Thanks!

I haven't used one of the drop in versions, but I have used their standard barrels for round ball/patch applications, and they have been very accurate on ever rifle I have made. I assume that they are made using the same process and twist specification if the drop in is designed for a round ball/patch. I can't input to the performance of their fast twist barrels designed for bullet applications.
Roger Sells

If your TC Hawken is one that has shallow groves and a 1 in 48 twist, you will get better groups if you drop your charge back to around 50 gr. You might try using FFF black powder, .490 and .495 round balls, .015 pillow ticking and spit for lubricant. Shoot some three shot groups every 5 gr. starting at 45 gr. and increase the charge upward to see where the rifle groups best. You should find a sweet spot where it shoots the smallest group, and then starts to increase the group size as you increase the charge. As an example, my .54 shoots one elongated hole spot on at 25 and 50 yards, and 1 1/8 inch group 5.5 inches low at 100 yards using 70 gr. of FFF black powder. However, the same rifle will only shoot an 18 inch group at 100 yards using 110 gr. of FFF black powder. I had a friend who use to beat me like a drum that used one of these TC rifles (45 cal.) using .445 cal round ball and pillow ticking with 50 gr. of FFF black powder. He was a great marksman.

Working up a load takes time, but it is fun shooting as well as gets you familiar with the feel of the rifle. Good luck with you shooting.
Roger Sells

Thanks everyone! I think I've been using too heavy of a load (the lowest charge I tried was 85 grains)...I'll throttle 'er back a little and keep shooting. This BP stuff is addictive...I like it!! BTW--one of the few patches that I found looked like I was getting some blow-by...
Thanks again!

Some of us are still around, I shoot a .50 cal. flintlock I built from scratch. It has a Getz swamped barrel with 1:22 twist, great for Maxi-hunters etc. The lock is a Siler and the set triggers are Davis. The stock is curly maple. Unfortunately after several hundred rounds the stock broke in the wrist. As soon as I get time I will repair. Last year I shot a 250 pound black bear with this gun. Sorry no pictures but I thought I'd put my two cents worth in.

Ive got a Lyman Plains rifle in .50 cal and shoot a .490 Hornady roundball with a .015th pre-lubed patch. and LOVE IT. Im on my 3rd set of open sights (legality issue between Or. and Id, my 2 favorite states to hunt) My BEST group was just over 1 1/4 in 3shot group at 100yds. leaning over the spare tire behind my Jeep. **I dont recomend this method on account of powder burns on your soft top*** hahaha But killed 3 Mule deer with it so far.Also smoked a coyote @ 186 yds somehow
Switching to Tripple 7 FFG OR FFFG. American Pioneer FFG seems like the consistancy of rock-salt, and doesnt pour easily enough.
Glad to see some traditional guys here! NOT that I have anything against in-lines, I want one of those too.

Last edited:
When I'm back in the States I shoot a Lyman GPR .54 percussion and what began life as a T/C Renegade .54 flintlock. The only T/C component on it now is the stock. I have a Green Mountain drop-in barrel on it, and it's been a great barrel! I also installed an L&R replacement lock and Davis target triggers. When I get motivated, I'll replace the New England-style stock with something more appropriate.

I've got several other smokepoles that I don't shoot as often, including an unfinished Edward Marshal .62 flintlock kit. I really need to get busy and finish that gun! Just as soon as I return to the States.

Not that I'm a pro, but it was recommended to me to start with charge = caliber & work up. you can also 'double patch' which is to put a wadded patch on the powder then the standard P&B. In the 4H comps, equal parts of Murphys oil soap, hydrogen peroxide, & alcohol. A friend who shoots comp uses Hoppes BP solvent & something else (I forget) but I believe its alcohol. This reduces fouling.. & he also uses Goex 3f. I'm going to season my daughters with bear fat & for my daughters comp use the Murphy's. TC Cherokee, .45

BTW: a 150 gr 3 pellet 209 primed belted jacketed balistic tip 3X-9X-56mm bolt action just aint muzzle loadin'. But I do have a Knight :D too, NIB. TC & CVA sidelocks are the mains. Would like a flinter someday.

Heck yah! Flintlocks rock! (pun intended)

I shoot a custom .54 cal flintlock model after the SW Virginia style rifles of the 1760-1770's. That one's my pride and joy. It was built by a guy who apprentice under Herschel House and is a thing of beauty. All hand forged iron mounted, 44" Colerain swamped barrel, 70 grains of 3F and a .535 round ball in a linen patch,...oh I'm getting exceited just thinking about it.

I also shoot a.62 cal smoothbore Tulle and a .75 cal. cut-down Brown Bess. I have taken deer with all 3 of them and turkey with the Tulle. If you are a God fearing man, you have to shoot flintlocks, because the good Lord didn't put percussion caps on this earth.

My oldest son shoots a modern inline (yuck), but he will learn. In all seriousness, I have nothing against the modern guns or those who use them. I just enjoy the traditional guns.

Dirty Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.