Traditional Shooters

Anyone left that shoots traditional instead of these rifles with plastic stocks, stainless steel barrels, scopes, replica powder and saboted bullets?

YES!!!! i shoot a winchester(replica) .54 cal with self cast lymn bullets 525 grain or 329 grain that i dont know if you can get any more i think that the grains have changed and i still use tripple f powder but due to fowling i clean between every shot.

my brother shoots a .58 and does all of it himself and we are looking into making our own powder but his wife is realy conserned that we might blow ourselves up. but with proper precousions it will be interesting to see what grade and consistancy we can make. (sorry about the spelling im writing thid on my phone )

Yup!

Deerhunt07004.jpg

Not much to tell. I was walking around my backyard and so was he. I saw him first because he had his nose on the ground heading my way. I waited untill he got about 30 yards away (long distance for that gun) and let him have it.

Lyman Great Plains Kit gun with round balls, pillow ticking & 90 gr of FF Goex. Sighted it in at 75 yards the day I finished it. Killed whitetail at 70 yards holding dead on & killed a Muley at 126 yards holding dead on. It's a running legend (joke) about how "flat" it shoots so one day we were rabbit hunting and we picked out a rock on a steep cliff face at 260something yards. I held dead on the first shot so I could get a feel for how much it would drop...you guessed it, nailed the rock. Sure... I know I must have thrown that shot way high, but you can bet there wasn't a second shot. The "legend" continues.

well with how hard it is getting to find powder and primers and such ive been loading up on all i can find. that pedersoli rolling block that looks like a winchster rb has been realy fun but i had to go with a better barrel and upgraded it at green mountain its now 42'' and at 1:70 twist and i have 6'' goups at 500 yards i also upgraded the site and bought a bodine creedmore vanier site for the back and its the best thing next to a scope that i have ever used but in trying to keep it as traditional and authentic as i can and still shoot the way that i think that all guns shood shoot and hit the target at what ever range i think i can hit. this might be the last of the changes that i make to it. i was at a rodezvous and some of the long range shooters there told stories of a greener hitting the target at a 1000 yards, and thats not with 209, and smkoeless, thats in the traditional shoot. i need to work up to that. the best i can do at the farm is 625 yards and i havent attempted it yet and this week we had to take down the range because we planted. so at the local range in rigby they have a 750 and 1000 for long range and i will have to build up my confidance and learn to use the bc for my bullets and work up to it couse if he can do it. I CAN DO IT BETTER. I realy hate to be showed up by anyone.:) when it come to shooting. it leaves me thinking that i'm not diciplined enough to do what that guy learned to do and all i have to do is increase my knowlage and practice,focus ,breathing, well you get the picture.

Last edited:
Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal, round balls, bore butter, pillow ticking...I'm trying a bunch of different powders. So far I'm having trouble getting it very accurate...what kind of group should I expect at 50 yards? I'm getting about a 5 inch group...sure is a hoot to shoot. It looks just like jerrschmitt's rifle.
Good luck!

At 50 yards you oughta be shooting one big ragged hole off a bench
old_heli_logger.
How much powder you using and what kind?
What's your patches look like...are they blown...if so I'd try a wonder wad or plain felt wad on top of the powder before the patched roundball is seated.

Thanks quigley!

So far, I've tried Pyrodex and 777...anywhere from 70 to 110 grains. I do a spit swab between each shot to try and reduce fouling. My patches are getting blown out. Seems to be a pretty tight fit though, so I'll try the felt pad idea.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.