• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Trade small rifle magnum primers for small rifle primers

Warrenoliver

Want to trade a brick (30 missing) of cci 450 small rifle magnum primers for a brick of small rifle primers. I can't get my 204 ruger to shoot these magnum primers as well as the cci 400's.
Pick up only - no shipping! Not interested in trading for anything but small rifle primers. Trade only, will not sell.
Located in south central Wisconsin, near Madison

Attachments

• 20210507_183604.jpg
    20210507_183604.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
If I were closer I'd trade you, but you can try backing off your original load by 2-4 tenths, 450s have a spark about twice as long and a few hundred degrees hotter, so backing off a little can match pressures.

CCI 500s will blank at about 40k psi, CCI 550s will take about 48-50k psi before they blank, but neither or any other SPP that I'm aware of, will handle full house 204 loads, not exactly a subsonic 300 blk load or 22 hornet.

Wouldn't a SPP be a much thinner cup diameter than a cci 450?
SRP, SRM, SPP, SPM, all same cup dimensions. Some say the metal in the cup is thicker in the magnums. While I haven't measured, I have found the metal thickness varies among manufacturers.
Cannot mix large Pistol with Large Rifle. LR has deeper cup.

I have never measured this myself either but found this chart interesting in that shows the CCI SRP is definitely thinner than the CCI SRM primer. Trying to track down a chart for pistol primer thickness dimensions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-203628.png
    Screenshot_20210509-203628.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 45
Easy fix just cut back on the powder charge with the magnum primers one grain or so. I buy thousands of small pistol primers usually magnums because they are cheaper go figure. If I use the same charge it doesn't make any difference with a magnum primer its now a plus p load because the magnums are hotter than the standard primers.

just opened a box of 5000 and would trade if you were close enough . If you want to make a road trip we can make it happen.