Tract Optics Toric UHD 30mm 4-20x50

WyoHunter84

Any thoughts on the new Toric UHD 30mm 4-20x50 from Tract Optics? It is ftp and can be had in moa/moa or mil/mil.

I think there is a some what of a disconnect that we see. lots of people say FFP, FFP, go the tactical forums, its basically if its not FFP its crap. for me a FFP scope is freaking an expansive paper weight. What in the hell good is a reticle you can't see on low power. After watching things play out on the forums etc. I have come to the conclusion is nearly everyone is shooting their gun at the range, not in the field. They are using their scopes on medium to high power. FFP works for them. as a hunting scope you need to see the reticle on low power. FFP is a fail in a hunting scope.

I think there is a some what of a disconnect that we see. lots of people say FFP, FFP, go the tactical forums, its basically if its not FFP its crap. for me a FFP scope is freaking an expansive paper weight. What in the hell good is a reticle you can't see on low power. After watching things play out on the forums etc. I have come to the conclusion is nearly everyone is shooting their gun at the range, not in the field. They are using their scopes on medium to high power. FFP works for them. as a hunting scope you need to see the reticle on low power. FFP is a fail in a hunting scope.

Cc,

Of all these FFP scopes you complain about, how many have you actually tried?

John

Cc,

Of all these FFP scopes you complain about, how many have you actually tried?

John
when you can't see the reticle on low power what is the point of buying something I am going to hate. FFP scopes should start with high power scopes ie 6-24 etc. not saying FFP does not have a place. the question is does your scope sit mostly on high power or medium power if so I think FFP has its place. I do most of my shooting on public lands and in the field. most people don't have access to that.

I really don't want to get into a debate on this, its been hashed to death. BUT I have looked at the scope in question in this thread. unless its broad daylight and the conditions are pretty good your not going to see the retilce on this tract very easy on low power. which begs the question what point is all the subtensions matching when you can't even make out the reticle on low power unless its perfect lighting and target conditions.

when you can't see the reticle on low power what is the point of buying something I am going to hate. FFP scopes should start with high power scopes ie 6-24 etc. not saying FFP does not have a place. the question is does your scope sit mostly on high power or medium power if so I think FFP has its place. I do most of my shooting on public lands and in the field. most people don't have access to that.

I really don't want to get into a debate on this, its been hashed to death. BUT I have looked at the scope in question in this thread. unless its broad daylight and the conditions are pretty good your not going to see the retilce on this tract very easy on low power. which begs the question what point is all the subtensions matching when you can't even make out the reticle on low power unless its perfect lighting and target conditions.

So, you are disparaging far and wide something you have no real experience with.

The Tract, and the LRHS which you have incessantly bashed because they're FFP, are available with or come standard with an illuminated reticle. On the 4.5-18 LRHSi, I have never needed to even turn the illum on to use the hash marks.

Just try one. If you truly can't make use of it, I'm sure you can easily flip it to someone who can, especially if you get the LRHSi from GAP at $750.

John

That's the exact problem I've run into with my FFp in the woods. It's great for 90% of what I do in Texas on longrange management hunts and plinking steel but on Dark Timber Colorado Elk hunts my FFp cross hairs disappear when it really counts!
James

Anytime I'm in the brush, I don't need to even see the central part of the reticle with the hash marks. It is very easy to bracket vitals with the bold parts of the reticle.

John

Why defend something guys tried in the store or in the hunting field and don't like. I tried a Vortex FFP and disliked it. The usual idea is one can range with it. So what! I have two range finders that are more accurate than a subjective bracketing of an unknown size. If a guy likes an FFP great. Go shoot your toy. If a guy likes a SFP, great. Go shooting and enjoy.

I agree that most shooters are at the range instead of hunting these days. However, I have been using an illuminated FFP Valdada 2.5-10x42 on my varmint calling gun for over 10 years. It works great; illuminated or not, at close range on lower powers and I have killed past 800 yards with it as well. I mainly like FFP for running shots as it gives me consistent leads regardless of power. That being said, I did go thru a few FFP scopes for dedicated long range guns and hated them for that application. I currently use a NF NXS npr1 or MOAR in SFP for those type guns.

Recent Posts