Toughest metal finish

lazylabs

With all the new coatings available what have you guys found to be the toughest? I have tried duracoat and it doesn't hold up as well as a good matte blue from what I have seen. I am not as concerned about variety of colors as I am durability on both moly and stainless. Thanks for the responses.

Are you looking at something the DIY'er can do or commercial?

Birdsongs finish was supposedly very tough, but he passed and I am not sure if the process was passed on....

I would prefer something I can do but would consider paying for something if it was good enough. I don't want to invest $10k to finish 5 guns a year. I end up with mostly bead blasted stainless at this point.

CeraKote based solely on what I'd read as of about 2 yrs ago. Perhaps there's something better/badder now.

We use it in the military aerospace industry. Am getting the information from our suppliers right now. Will post more information when the due diligence is completed but there are many sources.

Boss Hoss, Thanks, I am interested in your information.

Lazylabs....

Melonite is another commercial finish to consider.

As far as DIY

There was a thread that was done by the fellow who does the 338 Edge rifles on coatings and his methods.

Worth reading over if you continue to go the route of doing them yourself.

HVOF looks interesting. Where can you get this done?

Boss Hoss piqued my interest so I searched using Google any number of different ways but I couldn't find anyone advertising to coat firearms with HVOF yet. Maybe it's a work in progress...

I've got Birdsong's Black T on 2 and it is pretty awesome stuff. It penetrates the pores so even on spots where it starts to wear like around the muzzle, it is still completely rust proof. Never put oil on them and since it is self lubricating, they are very slick. Currently wait times are about 8 weeks and I am waiting on my 3rd rifle to come back from them. My smith sends them in after the metal work is done and includes the cost in his price. Thinking it is around $275 per rifle, but that includes every part of the gun getting coated. They also have a green version which I have to get someday. Good luck.

I've got Birdsong's Black T on 2 and it is pretty awesome stuff. It penetrates the pores so even on spots where it starts to wear like around the muzzle, it is still completely rust proof. Never put oil on them and since it is self lubricating, they are very slick. Currently wait times are about 8 weeks and I am waiting on my 3rd rifle to come back from them. My smith sends them in after the metal work is done and includes the cost in his price. Thinking it is around $275 per rifle, but that includes every part of the gun getting coated. They also have a green version which I have to get someday. Good luck.

Sniper Central - Birdsong Review

as for DIY, i researched 3 different finishes before coming to a conclusion and getting started. $30 worth of Cerakote did the trick for me...and it only takes a few hours on a boring saturday.

Duracoat
KG Gun Coat
Cerakote

Cerakote is in a league of its own compared to the other two... and it is fairly easy to apply once prepwork is done.

I did my whole set up with just one color to start, but still have a camo pattern in mind for later.

If you would like, you could send me the projects to be Cerakoted. Great stuff, great color options, great results..

And, I have the correct License to do this.

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.