Toughest Long Range Hunting Optic?

If you wanna use your scope as a hammer then you need to rethink a lot of things. What if you drop your rangefinder? It's just as important as your scope for LR hunting.

It's only important if you can't range with your reticle. I shoot some field matches that don't allow for a range finder. There's way around a broken range finder, not so much a scope that doesn't hold zero.

Just my opinion but I think most fixed power scopes are a bit more durable their variable power counterparts (fewer moving parts). I have both 6X and 10X from SWFA and a couple of fixed power Weaver scopes mounted on heavier Warne Maxima rings. They have never lost zero. Can't say that about all my variable power scopes.

I don't own a nightforce either, but that was my first thought. I am in the market for a scope for my do all 6.5 prc, and want to buy once cry once on this deal. Wondering if there is anything else I should be considering...
I was in the same boat. Got a Nightforce and plan on putting it on a 6.5 PRC.

Nightforce 100%. I'm the proud owner of 2 currently, an ATACR 5.5-25 and an older NXS that has survived the brutality of a .338LM in F-class competition and 14 miles of washboard road one-way to the gun club a few times a month. In almost 10 years I've never had a single issue with it. You get what you pay for.

I have moved to Nightforce on all my long range rifles. My 6.5 creedmoor has a ATACR 5-25-56 and is good beyond 1000 meters. I have the new 7-35-56 on my 338LM and 416 Barrett which were accurate to 1700 meters and 2550 meters respectively. Only had one problem with a Nightforce, contacted them and shipped it back. Returned 2 weeks later repaired and no charge. They have always be rugged and dependable.
Schmidt & Bender has been having some quality control issues lately.

Wondering if US Optics is still considered top tier stuff... certainly had a reputation for toughness.

My favourite hunting scope is the Ultra Short Schmidt Bender PMII 3-20x50. Had this scope buried in mud after tumbling down a slope... fell on it umpteen times in our wet hilly countryside.
In my opinion the best or strongest scope rifle connection would be with Spuhr mount directly on the Tikka T3x action. Second best is like my rifle with the pica rail & Spuhr mounts.

MC4Q6iN.jpg

edi

I guess I am lucky based on what some have said but I have a Nightforce scope on every mountain rifle I have and have never had any issues. I guess that doesn't mean they are the toughest but for my money they are the way to go.

+ for US Optic

Feels like I could pound tent pegs with it and not affect the zero.

Of course, it's weight may be a factor in causing your side-sloping horse to fall in the first place.

I don't own a Nightforce but do own a 16x SWFA, a couple Burris and a few Leupold. Have to think the toughest has to be Leupold. Few years back son in Alaska was climbing a mountain on a borrowed four wheeler, missed a gear and cartwheeled down the mountain. Had two rifles on four wheeler. Broke the stock on one rifle and broke scope on the other. Both were Leupolds. I sent him a new stock, he replaced stock, shot it and it was still right on the money. He sent other scope back to Leupold with a letter telling what happened. They sent him a new scope.

Nightforce NXS. Good compromise between tough/durable and "affordable". I have beat the crap out of mine and it does great

I knew this thread would be hot. Expected the NF votes but am somewhat surprised about no votes for trijicon accupoint. I own 3 and have found them to be very durable with strong tubes. Factor in a largely unbreakable illumination system I have a high degree of confidence in hunt of a lifetime durability

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.