Toughest Long Range Hunting Optic?

Depends. Usasoc and socom don't follow that, so that's not always true. When it comes to chow hall food or building...sure...but the entire air forces, that's not necessarily true. The average grunt gets a $300 dollar helmet and made by gemtech. Other people get $1300 dollar helmets made by opscore. Contracts aren't always lower bidder, there are criteria that goes into testing. It's only when criteria is met by a bids that it becomes a issue of money. How do low bid a S&B pm2? It's more like a bulk rate discount...still expensive as *Rule 4 Violation*.
SOCOM just contracted with SIG for their Tango 6 recently didnt they?

My only experience is with a NF shv that I took to kodiak island. The gun I was using became a trekking pole at times, not to mention was man handled by airport personnel all the way there and still held zero. Not the most expensive scope but held up to high humidity, rain, and a few fumbles on the side of the mountain. I now own 4 of them

Nightforce and Leupold mk4 have never let me down yet... thinking about it neither has my swfa scopes but they usually aren't on my hunting rifles.

My sling swivel broke on a recent hunt causing my rifle to inpact the ground from shoulder height. My SHV nightfoce never lost zero.
Had a similar incident last year with a Burris eliminator. Scope list zero. Cost me a 180 class mule deer. It could not repaired. Burris had to replace it.

How do low bid a S&B pm2? It's more like a bulk rate discount...still expensive as *Rule 4 Violation*.

Easily, you throw in one specific spec into the bid that only that one particular optic comes with. Could be 9 levels of reticle illumination instead of 10 or something dumb like that. Big companies heavily involved in military contracts have been doing bid manipulation since Howard Hughes. It happens on a daily basis in all government/public sectors.

Easily, you throw in one specific spec into the bid that only that one particular optic comes with. Could be 9 levels of reticle illumination instead of 10 or something dumb like that. Big companies heavily involved in military contracts have been doing bid manipulation since Howard Hughes. It happens on a daily basis in all government/public sectors.

yeah, can't argue with that... but still that a pm2 with 9 levels or 10 levels of illumination is still expensive either way as it's already a fielded optic. How much the marine corps settled at I'm not sure anymore, however I know that they rather you lose a rifle then a optic.

Non the less, during solicitations, at least some of the ones I've been apart of, which doesn't make me a expert on a compartmentalized process, companies have bent over backwards to provide spec requirements. Even Glock was willing to put in a thumb safety. It was good enough for SOCOM but not big army, whom I don't care what they do...but had to do mostly because the requirements of the target crowd, units ordered, and where the funding came from. There's at least 6 different forms of funding that I know of. This is why when someone says "oh the military is using this" it's not necessary true or a lie. A particular unit/team might be using/fielding item X. The mk23 was a issued across the board weapon system...generally spending its time deep inside most armory's never to see the battlefield...yet dudes still carried issued pistols...that weren't the mk23.

Being a lighter scope my Swarovski 3.5-18 z5 has impressed me! Horse slipped and rolled over me and rifle once. Different horse slipped and landed on it while crossing shale on another hunt it held zero both times. My rifle stock got replaced after second time it looked a little rough. No dialing only use holdovers but have only had to adjust zero for different handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.