Toughest Long Range Hunting Optic?

I had a SWFA 12X but the FOV was just alittle too tight at 200 yard sage rats for me. I thought of a lower end scope to swap on my PSS. But this thread has me wishing I bought a SWFA 10X during the Black Friday sale.

Honestly for the fixed power scopes I wouldn't go past 10x for a dedicated hunting / steel banging rifle. I have the 6x and think they are perfect for the AR platform.
I agree and a variable would best suit me on this rifle. I could swap out a scope from my PSS, but would hate to do that. A NF would be great or something with Schotts glass. But money is really tight so SWFA is a good compromise and value.

I agree and a variable would best suit me on this rifle. I could swap out a scope from my PSS, but would hate to do that. A NF would be great or something with Schotts glass. But money is really tight so SWFA is a good compromise and value.
I've hunted with a fixed 10X for years and i have never had any problems

SWFA did have a 2.5-10x32 ultralight that is around $350. That might be right up your alley. A retired sniper buddy of mine is running one on his stagg 10 in 6.5 CM. He loves it as a good all around well priced optic.

It was good enough for Chris Kyle to use on his longest shot...

I read the book a couple times and im almost positive he said his longest kill was with a 338lm w/ a nightforce scope. Hes good about describing the gear he was using when deployed in the book. At any rate he definitly states that he like nightforce the best.

Not trying to be a know it all, im a leupold fan too.

I read the book a couple times and im almost positive he said his longest kill was with a 338lm w/ a nightforce scope. Hes good about describing the gear he was using when deployed in the book. At any rate he definitly states that he like nightforce the best.

Not trying to be a know it all, im a leupold fan too.

Leupold mk4 on the rifle the shot in his movie was based about...nightforce on most of his other rifles.

Speaking of long shots and rifles. If Unertl scopes were good enough for Hathcock then maybe finding a good used one would the ticket.

If iron sights were good enough for Alvin York then maybe finding a good used iron sight would be the ticket. :D;):)

The "newest" version of the unertl 10x, the ones snipers used before being replaced by the leupold mark 4 go for a pretty penny. I'm sure they are one tough scope. They look like it from their pics. No idea what one would cost today.

If iron sights were good enough for Alvin York then maybe finding a good used iron sight would be the ticket. :D;):)

The "newest" version of the unertl 10x, the ones snipers used before being replaced by the leupold mark 4 go for a pretty penny. I'm sure they are one tough scope. They look like it from their pics. No idea what one would cost today.
In Canada we used the MST-100. Looked through them but never used them. They definitely were abused. I can attest to that as I've been in many of those places. Right next to the snipers using them; From the dust in the Gulf war (1) to the filthy streets and villages of Haiti (Any of you Marines who were there would attest to that). I guess if I had the extra cash I'd like to try the Zero Compromise optic. 4-20 or 5-27 with the impact 2 reticle.

I have always been a leupold fan. But on my last rifle I went with a swarovski X5I 5-25 X56 so far I like it I haven't dropped it off a cliff or drove over it with my truck but it seems rock solid to me

My hunting rifles have always worn leupold. I've never had a problem with any of them. I've had one on my 300 rum the last ten years, never had to re zero it. Nothing but the swfa can compete in a 20 oz scope. I.M.H.O.

When other companies start bashing their scopes against nails and tent stakes and then proving zero did not shift I will say maybe they can compete with NF. The fact is many of the hunts a lot of us go on are expensive or even worse, they take years to draw. Why chance it? I would be willing to bet that most people never even notice their scope zero is shifting because either they or the rifle is not up to par. The fact is very few scopes actually hold zero from shot to shot let alone taking a tumble. The real question is how much do they shift and at what point is it going to cause problems.

US Optics did this. They look to be every bit at tough as Nightforce. My experience is limited, but I changed my mind on a Nightforce when I bought an ATACR and some piece of glass inside was feathered and broken up. And it had been in its shipping box! I don't know what happened to cause that, but I started researching more and saw similar videos of US Optics being chucked, remount Ed and holding its zero. Year after year, I don't have to rezero mine... Just my limited personal experience between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.