Total confusion and question...

W

*WyoWhisper*

OK... Jake got me thinking... then I questioned myself then I became confused.. but the latter 2 are my fault.. I accept this...
rolleyes.gif

OK, When talking about seating bullets "off" the lands.... where in the hell is the thousandths numeral go..
ie:
I have seen many many people say...

.20 off the lands and they meant 20 thousandths

Then I see guys say .020 is 20 thousandths...

I have seen alot say .0020 is 20 thousandths...

I have seen so much inconsistency that now I am confused......

Ric

First place Right of the decimal is tens
Second place is hundreds
Third place is thousands.

20 Thousands would be .020"
2 thousands would be .002"

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 04-22-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Where it gets confusing (or intresting) is when talking to a machinest or grinder hand. To them "2 tenths" is .0002" (2 tenth's of a thousanth, or 200 millionths), not the .2 (2 tenths of a inch) most people would think of.

Ric,

Now what's your favorite method to determine the OAL to land contact? I use the split case neck method, it's been the most consistant and fastest too. I can get consistant to the thou (.001") but not quite the ten thou (.0001" - 1/10 thousandth "tenths") The Stoney Point OAL guage gets close but, not real close like the split case does.

I use the Stoney Point Gauge myself.. what exactly is the split case method.. I think I know but, maybe I don't know.. ya know???
wink.gif

Probably what you're thinkin. Take a neck sized case and split the neck vertically from the mouth to the shoulder body junction with a dremmel and a cutoff wheel or hack saw then deburr. The dremmel works best.
smile.gif
If you seat the bullet a little long and close the bolt on it all the way, it gives perfect tension on the bullet and takes two or three times to verify the reading is consistant to the thou. Takes about a minute. I take a measurement off the ogive and use the exact same bullet with the measurement wrote on it for keeping track of any throat errosion. I log the tip and ogive measurements in a notebook as well as on the dummy round I make up with that bullet for setting up the seating die later on.

fc45190b.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts