Torn between 6.5 prc vs 6.5 saum

What would you go with?

• Total voters
I have a saum and my buddy has a prc. We both use the same set up for deer, h1000 and 143 eldx. Mine is at 3050 fps and his is 3030 fps but his is almost max load while I ran up to 3200 before pressure signs. With ADG offering brass now for the saum, I would say component wise they are equal. I would go with saum if you want more speed, PRC if factory ammo has any interest in you.
I have my 6.5 Creedmoor and my 65-300 wby. I was planning on doing something in between. I looked at the PRC and the saum. I have a 300 saum which is probably my favorite gun. It shoots anything I make probably would shoot pebbles just as accurate so I'm a little biased about the 65 saum. I think I just talk myself into it. Kool let's find one.
good luck to you

Just now looked at the current polling results. As of now, the prc is ahead by one vote. I think the 6.5 prc is a great cartridge, but when's the last time a wildcat cartridge had as much popularity as the 6.5 saum. That in and of itself speak multitudes about how that cartridge has impressed them. I don't think there's ever been a wildcat so popular. I will tell you that I really didn't think there was any merritt to the short fat cartridge mumbo jumbo until I started load development for the 6.5 saum. If a fellow started his very first reloading experience with a 6.5 saum, he would definitely be spoiled when he got around to loading for a finicky cartridge.

Here's a good comparison article: < https://www.loaddevelopment.com/6-5-gap-4s-6-5-saum/ >

LD 6.5 SAUM.PNG

LD 6.5 PRC.PNG

What is your magazine length? How deep will you have to seat your bullets and will they ever be close to the lands? That is the most important question. So you will have to decide what bullet you are interested in. The biggest gain in a custom, gunsmith installed barrel in accuracy compared to a "factory barrel", is from being able to seat bullets close to the lands.

How much (length) barrel are you willing to walk around with? Is more powder in the cartridge case just going to be blown out the muzzle?

Just now looked at the current polling results. As of now, the prc is ahead by one vote. I think the 6.5 prc is a great cartridge, but when's the last time a wildcat cartridge had as much popularity as the 6.5 saum. That in and of itself speak multitudes about how that cartridge has impressed them. I don't think there's ever been a wildcat so popular. I will tell you that I really didn't think there was any merritt to the short fat cartridge mumbo jumbo until I started load development for the 6.5 saum. If a fellow started his very first reloading experience with a 6.5 saum, he would definitely be spoiled when he got around to loading for a finicky cartridge.
Agree, I sometimes wonder why I even need another rifle. But then the rifle looney in me snaps back awake!

I have a 6.5 PRC I bought off the shelf in a Browning White Gold Medallion, blonde maple stock, stainless octagon barrel—a beautiful rig which is frankly why I bought it—I just wanted it. Went on line and purchased a couple boxes each of ALL the factory ammo. Ran it all across the chrony. 142 gr nosler Accubond LR shot best-.5 MOA, all the rest—142 Norma bondstrike, 143 Eld-X, 140 Sierra TGK, 147 NBT and 156 EOL all shot a tad under MOA, so two thumbs up. Factory was a bit slower than loading manuals indicate but still respectable 2850 with the NABLR. I had originally zeroed the riffle with Hndy precision 143 ELD-X and the 10th round out of the rifle dropped an old cull buck at 125 yds. So bottom line—a great cartridge off the shelf with factory ammo—grab and go…no fuss, no muss, don't really need a load work up but…you know I'm a little OCD like that, so I'll be doing that later. For now…I was really impressed with both rifle and cartridge—it's a DRT, Thor's hammer.

I run 150gr Nosler ABLR at 2960 FPS in my custom 6.5 PRC. 24" Carbon Six 7.5 twist barrel. Trued and modified REM 700 action for longer 2.95 COL. AG Composites alpine hunter stock with Hawkins Hunter bottom metal/removable magazine. With that bullet weight and velocity it becomes a very versatile rifle. I don't have a 6.5 SAUM, but I am sure you can push bullets a little faster with it. As long as it ends up an accurate gun, it will be interesting. I think you have a winner with either choice. Enjoy.

In a short action I prefer the 6.5 SAUM. In a medium action, I would prefer a 6.5 PRC, which in general has better industry support.

I have a couple of short action rifles, but no medium actions, so I shoot 6.5 SAUM.

Ive built 2 6.5prcs one on a pre64 win mod 70 with a Bartlein 25 in cut rifle barrel and the other on a Curtis custom axiom with the Curtis bottom metal .145 throating can seat to lands and still have room in the Axiom 2.980 oal proof carbon 26 in barrel vel wise my 2 6.5 x 284 s dont come close the prc case seems to take pressures better 3300 fps with124 gr hammers easily 143 gr eldx 3000 fps factory the 6.5 prc is a mag cartridge as far as I'm concerned I'm hoping for 3400fps plus on the 123 gr and 129 gr absolute hammers no die or sizing issues I use the same redding bushing dies on both riflescant imagine the need for a hotter 6.5 been shooting that cal for over 50 yrs
264 Win Mag

Another vote for the PRC. I run hammers and can call Steve with any ?. Done deal. It's all the recoil I want now, otherwise I'd be shooting my big mags.

In a short action I prefer the 6.5 SAUM. In a medium action, I would prefer a 6.5 PRC, which in general has better industry support.

I have a couple of short action rifles, but no medium actions, so I shoot 6.5 SAUM.
This makes no sense. The 65 Saum case length is same as PRC. Cartridge length is determined by bullet choice, freebore of chamber, and seating depth. Plenty of folks running both in short, medium and long actions. Both cartridges with heavy for cal bullets loaded optimally in neck need 200k freebore, and a medium or long action.

This makes no sense. The 65 Saum case length is same as PRC. Cartridge length is determined by bullet choice, freebore of chamber, and seating depth. Plenty of folks running both in short, medium and long actions. Both cartridges with heavy for cal bullets loaded optimally in neck need 200k freebore, and a medium or long action.

I didn't explain myself very well.

For me, the main draw of the 6.5 PRC would be the option of being able to shoot factory ammo. But Hornady loads their 6.5 PRC at 2.950" oal iirc. Not a great fit in most short action magazines.

Absent 6.5 PRC factory ammo that would fit well in my short actions, I just chamber for 6.5 SAUM. It has a little more case capacity. My reamer has 0.120" freebore, vs. 0.188" for SAAMI 6.5 PRC reamers, so I have no problem loading close to the lands and staying within magazine length.

If I had medium actions, I would give up the SAUM's extra few grains of powder capacity, and go with the PRC, so that I had the option of shooting factory ammo.