Torn between 6.5 prc vs 6.5 saum

What would you go with?

• Total voters
I am gathering bits & pieces as we speak to build a new F-class rig in 6.5SAUM.
While pondering which cartridge to go with, I looked hard at what I already have; 6.5x47 and 264WM, and looked at PRC, WSM and SAUM. Had a faint look at the Sherman line, but it just does nothing for me.
The PRC brass availability and die issue swayed me away, and the WSM is just a tad too long/large for a Rem 700 SA with the bullets I want to run, so the brass from ADG is also a bonus.
I would have preferred a 35 degree shoulder on the SAUM, but that's how the cookie has crumbled unfortunately.

Cheers.
your wish for a 35 degree shoulder is easy just neck down the 6.8 western case which is a shortened WSM which is basically a Sherman with a 35 degree shoulder then fireform saum brass like the Sherman.
I am doing some initial load development on one now. I used a 6.5-270 WSM reamer ran short and a 270WSM bushing die shortened .085 and a .289 bushing
will start another thread when I have enough load development done to know where it stands but early on 62.0 gr h-1000 and 147 eldm makes 3200

As noted, performance is splitting hairs. Since you plan to reload, I would go with the SAUM, after I've played with both. I never buy factory ammo so I don't count that in a decision. Although, in the time we are in, you might choose to go with whatever brass you can get your hands on first.

Flip a coin. With Lapua, ADG, Norma, Nosler, and Hornady all making brass for the PRC that issue of a brass shortage hopefully will soon be resolved. From what I'm understand the brass resize issue hasn't really shown up until the 3-4th reload on the PRC and only in the ADG and Gunwerks brass.

Last edited:
Having built both for customers, the decision is simply whether they hand load (SAUM) or not (PRC). Arguments about ammunition on hunting trips are mute these days. Nothing is in stock that you can count on so if ammo doesn't arrive then use a buddies rifle or ship your ammo ahead of time to the outfitter.

I have everything ready to go for both calibers. barrel, action, brass, dies, bullets, powder. My Smith can do either. I'm not finding a whole lot from anyone who has both. Any insight on this?
I'd vote PRC because I have one and its been great but since you seem to be a Reloader, the SAUM is a better choice if you want the best performance picking between the 2. If you want something unique a custom 270 WSM with a long mag and a long throat lead to handle the long 270 bullets would be fun, but them you'd be on the outs with all the stuff you've gathered.

your wish for a 35 degree shoulder is easy just neck down the 6.8 western case which is a shortened WSM which is basically a Sherman with a 35 degree shoulder then fireform saum brass like the Sherman.
I am doing some initial load development on one now. I used a 6.5-270 WSM reamer ran short and a 270WSM bushing die shortened .085 and a .289 bushing
will start another thread when I have enough load development done to know where it stands but early on 62.0 gr h-1000 and 147 eldm makes 3200
I could have done the reamer the way I wanted, but I have enough cases to fireform now as it is...another at this point was a PITA, so I have left well enough alone.

Cheers.

You'll be happy either way. The way things are right now, I'd go with what you can find components and dies for.

If you're running a BDL, slight edge to the PRC for feeding, mine feeds very smoothly. I think the lapua brass for PRC is a big plus, but again, what can you get on the shelf today?

Had them both, Got rid of my PRC. My Saum outran the PRC in every way. No reason to shoot the second hand Lion.. Good brass out there for both just make a choice and run with it..
Ive built 2 6.5prcs one on a pre64 win mod 70 with a Bartlein 25 in cut rifle barrel and the other on a Curtis custom axiom with the Curtis bottom metal .145 throating can seat to lands and still have room in the Axiom 2.980 oal proof carbon 26 in barrel vel wise my 2 6.5 x 284 s dont come close the prc case seems to take pressures better 3300 fps with124 gr hammers easily 143 gr eldx 3000 fps factory the 6.5 prc is a mag cartridge as far as I'm concerned I'm hoping for 3400fps plus on the 123 gr and 129 gr absolute hammers no die or sizing issues I use the same redding bushing dies on both riflescant imagine the need for a hotter 6.5 been shooting that cal for over 50 yrs

you will never need 300 pieces of quality brass for the PRC or SAUM. when loaded to reasonable pressures and not abused I was able to get 15 reloads on 50 pieces of the Hornady brass and by then the throat was already showing signs of fire cracking then put another 8 reloads on 50 pieces of Gunwerks brass before I took the barrel off and it showed heavy signs of fire cracking. the SAUM will get roughly the same barrel life 1500-2000 rounds

Recent Posts