Torn between 6.5 prc vs 6.5 saum

What would you go with?

• Total voters
I have both and I like the SAUM better but I've had it longer. What length barrel are you going to have? Are you going to use a short or long action? What bullet weight are you hoping to shoot?
Rem short action, proof 22" 7.5 twist, I have from 130's to 156's to try. I'm hoping the 153's or 156's shoot best

I am gathering bits & pieces as we speak to build a new F-class rig in 6.5SAUM.
While pondering which cartridge to go with, I looked hard at what I already have; 6.5x47 and 264WM, and looked at PRC, WSM and SAUM. Had a faint look at the Sherman line, but it just does nothing for me.
The PRC brass availability and die issue swayed me away, and the WSM is just a tad too long/large for a Rem 700 SA with the bullets I want to run, so the brass from ADG is also a bonus.
I would have preferred a 35 degree shoulder on the SAUM, but that's how the cookie has crumbled unfortunately.

Cheers.

Go with the SAUM it is better in every way. Until the PRC die issue gets resolved I would steer clear.
What's going on with the prc dies,I've got the Hornady custom ,haven't had a chance to load /resize yet no brassbeen on back order for 3 months now and factory can't seem to find any. Other than the people want to make twice the amount.there is a place in hell for them.

I have had both. 6.5 Saum and PRC are close but as said, it's a bit hotter. I went with the PRC assuming there would be decent support in brass and optional factory ammo. I never shoot factory anything but 22 so I didn't make this a big part of the decision.

So far the PRC is a super easy to tune cartridge and I don't regret the adventure that much. I literally just run all the bullets to mag COAL of 2.950 and tune for velocity node. It shoots everything really really well at 6.5-284 levels plus. It's between the 284 and saum imho.

So the issue really boils down to components. I'd go with which ever you can actually get brass for.

Die issue: This is weird one. Is it a die issue or a brass issue?? So people running hornady brass seem to have no issue with brass expansion and spring back issues. People running adg have a fat web that creates a problem around 5th reload. To solve this issue there are lots of opinions. I have a chamber reamer that opens the chamber up at the rear around .0015. I have a custom widden die that undersizes my adg brass on a custom spec. I have taken a 300 PRC and removed .250 off the base to undersize the adg.

My whidden custom die has been perfect for bringing my brass to spec and allowing the proper expansion at the case web and head area.

Last edited:
Both are great cartridges, you cannot go wrong with either one. I would recommend you make your decision on if you plan to travel by plane for hunting trips in the future. If your luggage carrying your ammo gets lost, your hunt will be over with the SAUM....Right now if the airline losses your luggage with your ammo your hunt is over for any cartridge (most likely unless someone at camp has extra Ammo that matches your needs and willing to share) as nothing is on the shelves right now; but hopefully that will change in the future very soon.

I have had both and if you can get factory ammo for the PRC, that is really nice. However, it is really hard to find ammo or brass right now for either caliber.

*I would make the choice based upon your preference of action length - my short action 6.5 SAUM has a 2.900" COAL with 140gr berger hybrids to the lands, the factory 6.5 PRC rounds are 2.950" COAL. So, with a bdl setup you can get 2.995" COAL and with Accurate mags in a M5 setup you can get 2.950" COAL.

The SAUM gives you more flexibility to OAL in either setup. My PRC was built on a long action and if I did it again, I would go for an XM length action.

By the way, 2 of my buddies have 6.5 PRC's and shoot factory ELDX ammo out of it and they shoot just as good as my handloads in my SAUM.

There's no wrong answer!

I have both cartridges. I have a light weight stalking rifle in a 6.5 PRC and a heavy PRS weight rifle in a 6.5 SAUM. They are both great cartridges. I would give the 6.5 SAUM a slight edge on performance and the 6.5 PRC an edge on factory ammo. Both rounds were very easy to tune and they both shoot lights out.

Good luck on your decision!

after having both rounds the saum is the better option. the 6.5 PRC when loaded within reason is no better than my 6.5-284 and if your reloading it having factory ammo is not a concern. there is plenty of quality brass options for the saum