Torn between 6.5 prc vs 6.5 saum

What would you go with?

• Total voters

BPollard

I have a saum and my buddy has a prc. We both use the same set up for deer, h1000 and 143 eldx. Mine is at 3050 fps and his is 3030 fps but his is almost max load while I ran up to 3200 before pressure signs. With ADG offering brass now for the saum, I would say component wise they are equal. I would go with saum if you want more speed, PRC if factory ammo has any interest in you.
I have my 6.5 Creedmoor and my 65-300 wby. I was planning on doing something in between. I looked at the PRC and the saum. I have a 300 saum which is probably my favorite gun. It shoots anything I make probably would shoot pebbles just as accurate so I’m a little biased about the 65 saum. I think I just talk myself into it. Kool let’s find one.
good luck to you

DJ Fergus

Just now looked at the current polling results. As of now, the prc is ahead by one vote. I think the 6.5 prc is a great cartridge, but when's the last time a wildcat cartridge had as much popularity as the 6.5 saum. That in and of itself speak multitudes about how that cartridge has impressed them. I don't think there's ever been a wildcat so popular. I will tell you that I really didn't think there was any merritt to the short fat cartridge mumbo jumbo until I started load development for the 6.5 saum. If a fellow started his very first reloading experience with a 6.5 saum, he would definitely be spoiled when he got around to loading for a finicky cartridge.

SHORT-N-SASSY

Here's a good comparison article: < https://www.loaddevelopment.com/6-5-gap-4s-6-5-saum/ >

LD 6.5 SAUM.PNG

LD 6.5 PRC.PNG

65WSM

What is your magazine length? How deep will you have to seat your bullets and will they ever be close to the lands? That is the most important question. So you will have to decide what bullet you are interested in. The biggest gain in a custom, gunsmith installed barrel in accuracy compared to a "factory barrel", is from being able to seat bullets close to the lands.

How much (length) barrel are you willing to walk around with? Is more powder in the cartridge case just going to be blown out the muzzle?

Kimber7man

LRH Team Member
Just now looked at the current polling results. As of now, the prc is ahead by one vote. I think the 6.5 prc is a great cartridge, but when's the last time a wildcat cartridge had as much popularity as the 6.5 saum. That in and of itself speak multitudes about how that cartridge has impressed them. I don't think there's ever been a wildcat so popular. I will tell you that I really didn't think there was any merritt to the short fat cartridge mumbo jumbo until I started load development for the 6.5 saum. If a fellow started his very first reloading experience with a 6.5 saum, he would definitely be spoiled when he got around to loading for a finicky cartridge.
Agree, I sometimes wonder why I even need another rifle. But then the rifle looney in me snaps back awake!