TORIC 34mm FFP 4.5-30X56 MOA ELR or Nightforce NX8 4.5-32x50 F2

Cornholeo

Man I am on the fence between these two for my 7SS build. I own several NXS in 5.5-22 and love them, built like tanks and twist away on the elevation turrets.
Now I see Tract Optics and watching videos and reading reviews I am torn between the two. Can't lay hands on either one to look through or play with. Plan on shooting past 1400yds, elk hunt, and long range prairie dog.
Calling on anyone with experience behind either of these for your impressions on them.
How are reticles at max magnification, to thick or to thin?
I have never owned a FFP scope, how is that reticle on lowest power for hunting?

Thanks in advance for the help!

The Tract Toric is the same scope body as several other brands, all made by LOW in Japan. I have a Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 and a Delta Stryker HD 4.5-30x56 which are the same design as the Tract.
As with every FFP scope, until you get up to 8-10x power you basically just have a crosshair to shoot with. Once you get up to 8-10x, then you can use the reticle lines to range and hold offs for windage.

The Tract is a 34mm tube scope, and the Nightforce is a 30mm, so the NX8 will have less adjustment range and also weigh about a 1/2 pound less.

Most of the reticle choices out there are pretty well thought out designs and pretty useful at most magnifications.

Are you worried about weight of the rifle or optic? How much will you carry your rifle? If your going to be carrying it a lot I would consider the nightforce or even a March, or leupold mark5hd. The tract is fairly heavy if I remember. I think the tract would be a great scope good glass and tracking, but I don't think it will do anything the others won't do either. They are all pretty darn good optics. If your not concerned about weight give the tract a try.

I talked to Jon, one of the owners of Tract, and decided to order one. They have a generous 30 day return policy. All they ask is that you do not mount the scope. I will take it out to the range where I can look at over 1400yds and check her out. You are correct that she does weigh more but I don't treck the mountains like some are able to do.
Thanks a lot for the time to stop and give me some input!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.