Top Wyoming Units

buzz4me2

I'm a non resident and have built up 5 preference points for Wyoming. I was thinking of applying in Unit 61 (Red Desert) to get a shot at a above average antelope. I've never hunted goats before so it should be a fun time.

Any suggestions on other units to look at would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It looks as though only 38% drew 61 with 5pts last year in the regular nr points draw.

Looking at 64, 47% drew with 5pts last year in the regular nr points draw. Huntn fool has it as #1 pick, with 68, 61, 58, and 57 in order, for the top 5. I think they pick alot of their unit by draw odds, so I would talk with people who have been there first.

FYI- You have realy good odds in the special draw with 5 pts.

Way too many people are putting in for the units that Eastmans and Huntin Fool put in their magazines. They, especially Eastmans, are mostly going on tough drawing odds when there are above average bucks in pretty much every unit if a person has the time and knows how to judge them. I would never buy the number of points a lot of people are buying for antelope or deer as IMHO it's a waste of money. 2-3 PPs will get you great antelope units where you can shoot an 80" buck if you have a week or more to look a bunch over and I'm talking public land if you do your homework.

Buzz4me2---PM me if you want a good hunt for an 80" buck and would want to party up to hunt the unit I hunt that is taking 3PPs right now. I'll either hunt with you and show you the unit or you can hunt by yourself with the maps I will mark to show you right where to go. I have 1 PP and would like to hunt it again this year. I took a 14 1/2" 76" goat in 2009 with just a few days hunting at the end of the season before I went on my mulie hunt and all was on BLM land.

Eastmans puts a lot of there top pick together by amount of public land and hunting pressure. That's why some of there green chip areas have better trophy potential then the blue. But might not have very much public land and might have lots of tags.

I would think the red desert area would be good. I've hunted 64 and would gladly go back there. I'm sure Topgun is right. All these other antelope zones have nice bucks too. Picking out the right antelope to shoot is the hardest part of antelope hunting. You might as well use the points now that you have them.

If it was me I'd try to draw to one of the top areas and hope I didnt draw. Then I would buy an over the counter tag and get some hunting under my belt before I blew 5 points.
Unless of coarse you are going to hunt with an outfitter anyway. In that case you would have someone there stopping you from shooting an average goat with a 5 point tag

MachV---There are actually two ways the NR can do it. You can buy a point and put in for a unit you know you won't be able to draw with the number of PPs you have and put down a second choice that you can draw and you will gain the PP and get the second choice tag. The other way is not put in for the draw and buy a PP during the 7/1-9/30 PP application period and buy a license from the leftovers that go on sale in July.

The Red Dessert has a ton of goats, but it has been fairly well publicized. 61 is the closest to Rawlins so you will probably see more activity. All of those areas are very large, so plan some time for scouting so you can narrow your hunt down. If you aren't looking for the biggest baddest goat out there it should be pretty easy to fill a tag in those or many other areas.

61 is a good area but not my first choise. I think 57 is better but also tough to draw. 53 is also very good and has better draw odds. These are my choises that I aply for. Op you can pm me for info, I live in the areas mentioned and know them well.

If those were my 5 points I would not burn them right now. The "best" units have had a few rough winters and I would wait them out until they come back. If your dead set on hunting WY this year I would either put in for the unit with the lowest draw odds(looks like 58?) with a unit like 73 or 83 that have a possibility of being drawn on a second choice(special tag) or just bypass the draw and buy a point afterwards along with a leftover tag.

Hello all, 1st time on here. I also am confused on wether to try to draw this year with 6 pts. im thinking 61,62 or64 all north of i-80 with hard hunting and patience is there a chance of a 75-80 goat on public land thanks for any advice

So far it seems to have been an easy winter. If spring is nice and no big blizzards come in there should be good survival. If they get good rain this summer there will be good horn growth. The overall numbers of antelope may be down but there could be some good ones there.
I think the ability to judge antelope horns is 10 times more important then the zone you hunt.
I hunt most years. It seems there are always some big ones out there.
You can save your points till everyone says it the best time or you can just go hunting.

It has been a very light winter in the areas mentioned north of I80. With a lot of spotting you should be able to find a good goat. Last year I saw a 78 5/8 come out of there on an bow hunt. Watched the guy do it spot and stalk style, tuff to do in completly open ground. I was with a friend scouting elk, watched this guy make his sneak for 2 hours. He did an amazing job of it,realy worth watching, wish I would of had a video camera.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.