Top 5 hunting rifles under $2K

blueshirt2

I recently posted a thread asking about the top 5 under $1K, and got a ton of great feedback. I thought I might see what opinions are out there if I can save up a bit more $$. These are the ones I am looking at so far, all in 6.5PRC:
Bergara Premier Mountain 2
Christensen Traverse
Seekins Havak
Christensen Mesa TI

My optic is set, Leupold VX-5HD. I am still learning the ins and outs of LRH, so a lot that is out there is unfamiliar to me. I know enough to know that I don't know much:) THANKS!!!

$2k is custom gun territory:

$825 Origin Action
$360 Grayboe Stock
$150 trigger
$150 BDL Floorplate w. box and spring
$330 Savage pre-fit
-------------------------------
$1,815

Add mounts and the VX-5hd and run.

Caliber, contour, length, trigger type, stock style, etc are all options are that price point. With the advent of sub-$1k custom actions and prefits its never been cheaper to go full custom. Granted you take on the responsibility of assembling, troubleshooting, or tuning as necessary.

When you're in the price range of custom I expect a lot from a factory rifle. I'd want it to fit me well, action be smooth, great trigger, and shoot exceptionally. I've seen positive and negative items for the rifles you listed. Fit of the rifle to you would be my main concern, then weight and features you want and what price you can stomach. Customer service is great too if something ends up being wrong.

$2k is custom gun territory:

$825 Origin Action
$360 Grayboe Stock
$150 trigger
$150 BDL Floorplate w. box and spring
$330 Savage pre-fit
-------------------------------
$1,815

Add mounts and the VX-5hd and run.

Caliber, contour, length, trigger type, stock style, etc are all options are that price point. With the advent of sub-$1k custom actions and prefits its never been cheaper to go full custom. Granted you take on the responsibility of assembling, troubleshooting, or tuning as necessary.

When you're in the price range of custom I expect a lot from a factory rifle. I'd want it to fit me well, action be smooth, great trigger, and shoot exceptionally. I've seen positive and negative items for the rifles you listed. Fit of the rifle to you would be my main concern, then weight and features you want and what price you can stomach. Customer service is great too if something ends up being wrong.
This is the type of info that is useful, thanks. The issue I have with a full custom is a lack of gunsmithing knowledge. If it doesn't shoot great out of the box, I am in trouble. I am only assuming that a 'factory' rifle will shoot well precisely because it costs $1700-$2000....

Just saw this is in the starting out section. Is this your first hunting rifle? If so, I'd go Tikka on sale around $600 and call it good. Should have no problem hunting out to 400 with that rifle in just about any caliber. Spend the extra on ammo to practice.

For 2k it's be worth it to try to go custom. Or you could go semi custom, by that I mean.
Buy a rifle for under 1000$ tikk, rem, Savage Fit the bill well
Then upgrade with time
Go for a stock that YOU want And fits you well, a chassis, McMillan, manners etc
It's not hard to get a new barrel, There's plenty of prefits for tikka and savage. Depending on comfort level and knowledge you can replace the barrel yourself with relative ease. Remington requires a gunsmith usually unless you go with a barrel nut style like savage.
Then Upgrade the trigger, probably the easiest and first thing I would do on any factory gun actually.
Another idea is that for 2k you can shop around and find Quality used stuff

which profit is $330?

Criterion, x-caliber, mcgowen, and others for savage style prefit. Shouldered hasn't come down in price yet, but I've had great results in my origin with savage style setups. If you have the budget to stepup bug holes/southern precision do savage style prefits for $180 + the cost of the blank.

my suggestion to you would be contact Russ at bugholes.com tell him what you are wanting and go from there great people to deal with and will probably have everything you need in stock you can put a very nice rifle together for about 2300.00

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.