Top 5 hunting rifles at/under $1K

Agree. The Leupold vx5hd has very good glass and would make a fine hunting scope if BDC reticles meet his needs. I have one and not to start an argument, I like it's glass better than my Vortex pst gen 2.

I personally haven't changed out the stocks on mine but I have looked at a few and will at some point. The good composite stocks are just more rigid. I think they a a lot better especially if you shooting off a bipod a lot. You're going to get less flex and less possible contact with the barrel
Oil the wood in front of the bedding to seal out moisture works pretty good

Turtle

Awesome glass the vx6hd. I have the 3x18x44 with the fire dot. Highly sensitive to low light conditions. Leupold is proud of the optics although I have three two are 4.5x14 vx3i's. Warranty is unbeatable. It might be wiser him to look at the 5 series as price is a concern for this gentleman , although I regret not getting the six earlier in my hunting life.

just saying

I get that. If he goes with a cheaper rifle then I'd do better glass. If he spends more on rifle the vx5 is just as good. I have both and love em both.

I have yet to own a Browning that wasn't a shooter with handloads. I have an x-bolt 30-06 that shoots 1/2 moa that I paid around $650 for new. I also have a Hell's Canyon in 28 Nosler that shoots closer to 1/4 MOA with handloads that I paid about $1100 for. I love that the latter of the two came with Cerakote and a brake. A word of caution with Browning rifles is that it's hard to find a smith to do much with them other than general stuff. I have not yet found one who will do much more than swap a barrel. Truing up an action and barrel to customize is something I've yet to find. If you plan to do anything other than shoot stock, I suggest you look at Savage, Sako, Tikka, Remington. Of those 4, I only have experience with Savage. The 3 I own all shoot very well with handloads. I have very limited or no experience with factory ammo in the last 15 years.

UPDATE:
I pulled the trigger on a Christensen Traverse 6.5PRC. It was an unfired demo so I got a great deal. It was still more than I intended to spend, but I wanted to get it right the first time. A Leupold VXR 4-12x50 is going on it, again a great deal from my uncle. All in price: $2500. Thanks everyone for the input, it was very helpful!

Hi All.
My budget for a setup is $2K for rifle and optic. I expect to spend at least half of that on glass. So now I'm trying to figure out the best rifle I can fit into. I have looked at X-bolt and Kimber Mountain. I don't need to shoot 3moa at 1000 yards or anything and don't expect to. Just looking for something accurate enough to to get a good kill shot on an elk at 500 yards maximum. Appreciate everyone's input!
Thanks!!
Love my steyr pro hunter

I'm very partial to Bergara, but in full disclosure I also work for them. Take a look at the Wilderness Ridge. Great rifle for the money with Cerakote and threaded barrel.

What do you do there? I tried getting jobs with glock and NF but no luck.